requirements for turbo?

karel789

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here and basically new to bikes. I bought a 79 xs650 as a build proyect and wanted to instal a small turbo on her (don't have it yet). I would like to keep the Mikuni carbs, too. I read somewhere that when installing turbos on bikes you "must lower your compression ratio and install heavy duty valve springs, connecting rods and a higher volume fuel system." Also probably an intercooler, oil line to the bearing housing, etc...

So, my question is, what do I really need for the xs650? Any other recomendations?

Intercoolers condense and cool the intake air making more power. It is not necessary to have one though. You'll need to be able to supply enough oil to the turbo, most likely needing some sort of higher volume oil pump. You'll need to custom make exhaust and intake manifolds. It's a major undertaking and not something for a novice. BITD there were a few companies that made motorcycle turbo kits, but there are none that I know of now.

Fndirtygreaser thank you great compilation you found there, I'll read the threads from cover to cover!
o1racong03 I know it's not going to be all easy, but I bought the bike for the challenge and the chance to do something practical. I am aware of the basic complications of running a turbo since I study engineering. thanks for the heads-up, though!

I strongly suggest that you get the bike runnig correctly before attempting the turbo conversion. Could save alot of headaches later.

Keep us informed!
Slimbob

Based on my readings, a stock bottom end wants to start destroying it self at about 65ish HP. So first thing is your gona need to get the crank welded, or repahsed and welded, along with other things. But ultimately tuning, fuel will help the engine live.

I have built many turbo bikes and had a XS650 that I was going to do but the challenge is how much boost before it goes boom. Monstercraftsman did one got it running but I never seen anything since. There is a guy on here by the name cowboy who races one but not for the street. The money that you have to put into it for a XS650 to me is not worth it compared to the horsepower you get. I wanted to try it for looks and my turbo still sitting in the box (Garrett Turbo) I was only planning to pull 5 lbs of boost with single carb. You really have to do some big time research on this and the XS650 motor. I have done big motors and just had one of my turbo Busa builds go 7:60 over the weekend in NC and I was not happy with that having close to $20,000 in parts in that motor. So I hope you got plenty of time and deep pockets HAHA
Good luck and post your progress.

hi if you look up the aussie xs650 club site,,,, there is a guy that has built a turbo xs650,,, i think he also re designed and built a transmission along with sports wheelsa and everything else we can only dream about ,,, its worth reading regards oldbiker

He is using a older style Turbo with a inter cooler
Most of my MR TURBO KZ/GS builds used single carb
You can setup a Turbo a couple different ways. The Garrett I think its a 15 runs off the exhaust and output goes to carbs on manifolds.
Other way is carb in front of turbo and then to manifolds
My busa is Turbo threw cooler then manifold to injuctors boots.
I was going to try and do the one I wanted to do as carb in front of turbo.
Go look at MR Turbo site or Oreint Express

Back