Reverse flushing the early BS38 carburetor pilot circuit (idle jet)

I love finding silver quarters in my change from burger king. I have a decent collection, all had for free except the $2 bill baught for 2 washingtons.

Gosh, no credit for me? I've been telling XS folks about cleaning a blocked idle jet this way since before the beginning of this forum. I bet I've posted 20 times with this trick.

Good job on the explanation. Maybe folks will finally learn this trick. I sealed up the end of a little ted tube by wrapping a glob of Teflon tape around the end and slipped a small o-ring over the tape to keep it secured. The trick does work without the seal but it's a nice touch if you use the trick often.

Tom

Tom

Posted via Mobile

Hey, Tom! There you am! Was hoping you'd jump in here.

Yes, an old trick, been doing this since the old shop days. But, your past posts on this reminded me that I've been wanting to do this version. So, yes, your posts were the impetus for this thread. Thanx...

ha, HA!!! perjury!!
Claim your fame, Tom!!
Even if the carbs were mounted, it dosnt take much to pull the filters, and stick your thumb in there, but of course there is more than one way to skin a cat.

ha, HA!!! perjury!!
Claim your fame, Tom!!
Even if the carbs were mounted, it dosnt take much to pull the filters, and stick your thumb in there, but of course there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Angus post up a pic of your thumb!

A lil' thread update.

After cooking up this reverse flush gadget, I modified the drain bolts to see if they would work as sediment sump traps. The drain bolts were drilled using standard lathe centerdrills. Worked out to just the right depth, with a mild opening chamfer.

Pulled them today, and found things in there.

DrainBoltMod.jpg

They work!

But, what is that stuff?

Yep, my 22 year old fuel lines are finally starting to rot.
Picked up some 3/16" Tygon tubing for replacement...

Last edited:
Interesting. If filters were used, ide hope to only find water. Wat did u find? U do run fuel filters, no?

Hey, Angus! I used a 10x loupe and poked at that stuff with a needle, they're tiny pieces of rubber.

No inline fuel filters, just the fine-mesh screens in the spigots of the early-style petcocks. Those petcocks have their own sump, serviced with drain plugs, or accessed for cleaning by pulling the 2-screw backplates. The spigot screens are positioned well above the petcock sump floor. That system does a pretty fair job of catching stuff from the tank.

Inline filters would've caught rotting fuel line particles ABOVE the filters, but not below.

So, my not running inline filters is just my judgement call.

I didn't find any water. But, I've been running "ethanol free" gas this year.
Not expecting much in the way of water, but I'll be watching for it...

No filters for me either, the petcock screen are enough for me. Since you have time on your hands 2M you should design, manufacture, BS38 bowl plugs with a quick drain and drain tube fittings.....

Since you have time on your hands 2M you should design, manufacture, BS38 bowl plugs with a quick drain and drain tube fittings.....

5-6 yrs ago BluBikerBlan was looking for something like this. I think we went through most if not all of the various brass fittings ideas trying to make something. . . . .
Finally decided it would take some custom made/built parts. . . . .

Funny you guyz should mention that. Coupla years ago I gathered some parts for just such a thing, a quick drain contraption in M8x1.0 thread, similar to aircraft quick drains.

Just because of that dang gasohol, and my extended 'parked' intervals.

It's all in a box, on a shelf, waiting for me to get more me.

This is why stay-bil is around. I only run 50 miles or so each bike. I have four runners, and i have other interests. Blackberry bushes grow
Fast

Another lil' update.

Over the years, the bike has been slowly running richer in the idle and low speed zones. Decided to replace the pilot jets. Per 5twin's recommendations, got a pair of genuine Mikuni #42.5 jets from Jetsrus. Comparing the original 45 year-old jets to the new jets was quite revealing. Using precision pin gauges, determined that the old original jets have been slowly decomposing and opening up. They're almost up to a size #46. In this pic, you may be able to see the difference in the metering orifices:

71XS1B-Carbs-PilotJets01.jpg

Back