Rewired the bike, what about the condenser?

Skipadelphia

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My first bike build so please excuse my ignorance…

Please oh great xs650 gods, pass along your knowledge.

Tonight I have started to rewire my 81 xs650 to be a kick start only bike running on a battery. I have followed the guideline of several wiring diagrams supplied by this forum. The bike ran very well before i got my hands on her. I have checked the power output in several locations and i am getting power all up until the spark plugs. I have power prior to the coils. My battery power starts to decrease when the ignition is on. I have found some diagrams to have a condenser and others do not (some may be the hugh's hand built PMA systems). Does the condenser on the 81 look different than the 70's models? mine looks like 2 square pods with a harness including a blue wire (amongst other colors). The condensers i have seen on the 70s models look like tiny tootsie rolls as opposed to my 2 square pods. So my question to you oh great ones is, how do you wire the condenser into the coils? also, i have a strange blue cord that is coming out of the regulator rectifier that i have not been able to identify. I see there is also a yellow cable that several diagrams have told me to just cap off. any information would be appreciated. I feel like i am so close i can practically taste the exhaust from that sweet 650cc creation.

If you have a 1981
you have a single REG/REC
TCI ignition( Black box)
Your Alt has the TCI pickup on it
Coil is one piece unit NO CONDENCERS that was for points
So if you got something other that this its not a 1981
Its a very easy setup to do I build harnesses all the time and these are the easiest to do
What a lot of guys do when building a new harness there is a BROWN wire that comes from the ALT and REG/REC that has to go to the ON SIDE of your ignition switch is put in the wrong location
Also the coil has a hot wire from ignition that has to be added for power to coil.
These two things are what most leave out. They just plug the plug for coil but there is no power in that plug has to be added
Here are two pictures of wire setup TCBROTHERS for your year and a diagram

Attachments

• 108-0002.jpg
    108-0002.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 232
Thank you sir. I was confused as far as the ignition. She's sparking now at the plugs. The wires are a bit corroded so that will be my next step. Thanks for the heads up sir!

Back