Rocker arm pitting.

wojski

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a quick question. Ive pulled more thigns apart and cleaning the engine right down, sand/soil and sludge throughout (been in someones backyard for a while). Ive checked the rocker arms and have some pitting, is this somethign to worry about? re-surfacing needed? or perhaps a good condition set of used ones?

Attachments

• rocker 1,2.jpg
    rocker 1,2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 208
  • rocker 3,4.jpg
    rocker 3,4.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 262
If you look at the rocker arm you will see a line across the contact surface about center, This is the only place the rocker touches the cam. If where this line is is pitted badly I might worry. Or if the line is worn into the rocker. If you run your finger back and forth across the line you probably won't feel any wear. It should feel curved like the rest of the surface. It may feel slightly flat, no problem there. If it feels like a groove you might want to try a different set.
From looking at your pics, I'd run them.
Welcome to the board.
Leo

Just guessing; those were there when it was built, just porosity in the forging from the factory.

I thought it may have been like that since it was built, it does not look like regular pitting close up no real signs of typical wear. Thanks for the help guys. The motor is fully dis-assembled to the last circlip haha. And so the fun begins!

I have heard on the pros/cons of using parts from MikesXS some lemons some not. The jugs and pistons I have for this engine will probably need replacing, its just easier. Does anyone have any experience with mikes 750cc kit? durable? I have done some research but no real replies from people actually using the kit.

Do they need replacing, or just a rebore and new pistons. Pistons and rings, $150 to $175 Boring $35 to $50 per hole.
The 750 kit $599.
Either way you need gaskets, seals, and such. So the big difference is in the pistons, rings and boring $185 to $225. vs $599 for the kit.
At the price of the kit and the gains in power and smoothness, my vote is the 750 kit.
Most of Mike's parts are good. His clutch cables, rubber parts, clutch plates, batteries. Those are some of the biggies I know of.
I've used many of his parts with out any trouble.
Leo

I use the 750 kit and ride the bike every day - plus a bunch of other engine mods - I swear by it.

I.

XSLeo: My thoughts are pretty much aligned with what you have said.

MB-Ian: The enginge is pretty much being fully rebuilt, all new bearing all new seals and everything, brand new carbs and the like Im hoping to ride it every day and hopefully make it somewhat reliable. Thanks for the heads up on the 750 kit.

Back