Runs on Quick Start then Stops!

cooperxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a 1979 special, dual points, running off the battery (PMA isn't hooked up yet). The battery is showing about 12.5 volts. I got the bike 2 years ago and pulled the engine to clean it up, etc. I put everything (except the harness, which was a mess) back in place and it sat for almost a year while I was diverted with other projects. I'm getting it going again and hope to finish it this winter. It used to start on one or two kicks (until I "fixed" it!)

So, I just put the tank back on with new non-vacuum petcocks, inline filters and blocked the vacuum nipples on the carbs.

After a whole bunch of kicks it wouldn't go, so, resorted to the old stand by, Quick Start. I few good squirts right in the carbs (air boxes removed) and if fired up and ran solid. If I touch the throttle, it dies, same with the choke.

I think its just running on the quick start.

How do I make sure it's getting fuel, and, how do I know the carbs are working and haven't frozen after sitting for almost 2 years?

Also, it kicks back HARD (and it hurts!). It's like a vapour lock. Can anything be done about that?

Thanks

cooperxs650

Check the timing with a timing light.
After sitting for ~2 years, the pilot circuit/small passages in the carbs are...impeded.. :twocents: CLEAN THEM CARBS!!!!
Are the advance unit springs returning fully?

Oh, yeah, CLEAN THEM CARBS!!!!

Yup sounds like the advance rod is sticking. then drop the float bowl drains run some gas through. see if that's enough. The tiny choke circuit orifice in the float bowl is a favorite clog spot. Bottom the idle screws and reset, or remove them and spray carb cleaner in the holes. 2many has a circuit cleaning tool he made to use in the idle screw hole.

Back