Safety/Lighting Relay Wiring Help

formular6

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1979 xs650 special

Last piece of the puzzle for completing my wiring harness. When the key is in the on position and switch is to Lo the headlight is off and once started the headlight does come on, which I believe how it's suppose to work. The problem I am having is that when in the Hi position light stays on and does not get any brighter. In the Hi position is it suppose to stay on and in the Lo position it is off before you start? Headlight does not switch from hi to Lo either. Is the attached wiring diagram correct? The only thing I found on wiring the safety/lighting relay was from this post... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32113&highlight=community+wiring

Attachments

• Relay.jpg
    Relay.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 176
Are you running a cap or a battery? I'm assuming a cap since you said the headlight doesn't come on until you start it. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think mine really gets any brighter when I flip the switch unless I apply throttle to run more juice to the light.

Your headlight shouldn't turn on until your bike is running but you should definitely be able to switch between hi and low with a noticeable change, check the continuity in your switch to make sure it's working properly. I just did a lot of this in the last 2 weeks. How are you checking the hi/low beam? On the street at night or against a wall in your garage? Have fun and let us know how it goes

Paddy, just checking the headlight in the garage. Does the lighting relay only work on the lo position and if you have it on the hi it stays on no matter what?

Angus, connected the headlight directly to the battery and both filaments are good. Going to switch to a h4 type headlight to see if it is any better. Currently using a headlight from a cb350, which is to dim anyways.

Back