Safety relay

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am building a roadster XS and have got to the wiring loom. I need to hurry up actually, we had our first sunny day of the year today and the Great British summer only lasts 3 days so I need to get on the road.
I am not going to have the safety relay and need to know about disconnecting it.
Does the yellow wire from the alternator star point need to be grounded or just disconnected. Normally, on generators, the star point is the neutral which is grounded to earth to stabilise the generator output.
Has anyone disconnected their safety relay? Did you disconnect or ground? Was the charge alternator output affected?
Many thanks.

Tim.

When removing the safety relay, just cap off the yellow wire. On generators that may apply, but this is an alternator.
Are you keeping the electric start? If so the safety relay will help prevent damage to the gears between the starter and crank. On some models it turns the headlights on.
Leo

I have put a hidden little rocker switch to disable the starter when not needed.
I have made a custom battery box and it is pretty small so all the un-needed relays will be going.
When I finish the build I will decide whether to keep the electric start or not.
My XS2 starts fine without electric start.

Yes, just follow what XSLeo said.

In large commercial generators (alternators) the neutral star point is taken to ground, and used as a protective device to monitor for fault currents.

If you were to ground the yellow wire, you would reduce the alternators output voltage and wattage.

Back