Safety wire twisting tools - recommendations needed.

If I could buy metric bolts, drilled for safety wire, for the brake rotors and rear sprocket, maybe a few other places, I'd do it. I'm not going to drill them myself. We could probably obtain some from Russia, assuming they build airplanes with metric hardware and use safety wire. Airbus hardware is not metric.

Have any of you seen metric hardware with safety wire holes? My bike has safety wire on the grips, just because I can. I have plenty of stainless wire and Blue Point safety wire pliers.
;)
I have done my own on my snowmobiles and my DR650 in areas that are very critical and hidden from the naked eye.

The engine mounts under the engine, hidden in the belly pan on the sleds and the neutral safety switch behind the clutch basket on the DR650.

I used allen head bolts and allen head screws that I drilled through the heads in my drill press....worked like a champ. :thumbsup:

I have done my own on my snowmobiles and my DR650 in areas that are very critical and hidden from the naked eye.

The engine mounts under the engine, hidden in the belly pan on the sleds and the neutral safety switch behind the clutch basket on the DR650.

I used allen head bolts and allen head screws that I drilled through the heads in my drill press....worked like a champ. :thumbsup:
Nope. I have no drill press. Not willing if I did.
Bet it's out there, mebby even in titanium. Heck of a lot of MC racing needs safety wire.

https://cometkartsales.com/6mm-Socket-Head-Drilled-Bolt-DRILLED-HEAD.html

https://drilledheadbolts.com/t/metric-bolts
I’d buy those to attach the front brake rotor.

Is not a locking chemical ( Loctite ) a simpler better solution Unless special situations like heat or so
Competition racing where it is taken apart often
The anglebar holding BS 34 carbs wont come loose .

Is not a locking chemical ( Loctite ) a simpler better solution Unless special situations like heat or so
Competition racing where it is taken apart often
The anglebar holding BS 34 carbs wont come loose .
No. Broken safety wire indicates a loose fastener. Failed Loctite has no indication. You may use torque stripe paint for this.

Not the clearest shot,
rotor bolts safety wired.jpg

but you can't SEE Loctite. :sneaky:

Went looking but they've gone AWOL, not even in the tub of useless tools, no loss.

Don't ask and you shall receive, an "M" marked safety wire pliers showed up here the other day along with some other retired :bow:MC'ist:bow2: stuff..

Result!
I'll just keep schtum and hope the tool fairy visits.
I think I'll spring for the relatively cheap Milbar ones from Aircraft Spruce.
What got me going down this road is that more than once I've undone the sump plug and it's been suspiciously easy to undo. Pretty sure if it had been left much longer it would have undone itself.

No. Broken safety wire indicates a loose fastener. Failed Loctite has no indication. You may use torque stripe paint for this.
Italian bikes use lots of paint to indicate a torque value has been checked or to indicate torque loss. My Ducati had green spots and Guzzi wanted to be different so they used yellow.

IMG_1920.jpeg

I’m going to buy some safety wire just because I dont have any. What is the best gauge to buy? Immediate use - safety wire master link clips on chains.

Back