Seized ignition point screws

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The screws that fasten the points to the backing plate are seized solid, no evidence of rust. Two other spare sets on the parts shelf are the same. I intend to replace them with socket head screws.
My question: Is it usual that these screws are frozen in place or do I have a novel situation? Looking at the condition of the heads on them, it appears they have been over-tightened before.
I am aware of the shop techniques to free them, just want to know if others have seen this.

Just got back from buying a few M4 socket head screws at 15 cents a piece, correct length.

On these bikes, sure there is a lot of corrosion and stuck threads, but most of them are solved with a squirt of the magic fluid of the day. The fine small threads often seem to give you a run for the money - all part of the hobby.

I assume you have JIS screw drivers, they are especially useful on the smaller screws.

Yeah, "magic fluid" - Panther Piss and plenty of beer. ;)

and an impact driver....

T-handled Philips screwdrivers are my choice. If they won't break loose with them, then I resort to the hand impact. After they're removed and re-installed with anti-seize, I never have a problem with them again.

Few things as satisfying as the "snick" of a mangled screw giving up the fight!

Attachments

• SAM_2950.jpg
    SAM_2950.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 193
Dear all:

I subscribe to quite a number of YouTube channels and I just watched a great video by Adam Booth of Booth Machine Shop in Florida. Mr. Booth received a Suzuki DR650 cylinder head from one of his viewers. The head had several seized fasteners including one that was broken off and another that was simply stuck solid.

He showed the whole process of removing each of them - very clearly explained.

The only thing I would add is the importance of putting a counterclockwise torque on the impact driver before striking the end of it. In my experience, that will nearly always break loose a stuck screw.

It works particularly well on (usually chowdered) XS650 clutch basked screws.

The link is below:

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Back