Should i be concerned about this?!?!?!

RFritz79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought this 78 a few days ago. Tore it all down to rebuild it
Noticed all this RTV and the pushrod looks bent. Should it be bent or straight? The way its bent it almost looks like its supposed to be but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 315
For reference this is what you are looking at is supposed to look like.

28ip0k4.jpg

See if you can remove that sealant and see what it looks like behind it. I think best case scenario is the previous owner put it there because their pushrod seal was leaking and they didn't want/know how to fix it (common for it to leak) and somehow the rod just became bent. Maybe from the chain?

Worst case scenario is that it ends up being worse than that. Lol. Best of luck.

EDIT: Also, on the left side cover, check your worm gear for damage -
10ofshu.jpg

Chain skipped the sprocket teeth and bent the rod, that's no big deal they are cheap. remove and check the nylon arm assembly for cracks Unfortunately that might be the good news, right above the sprocket, the case sticks out with a support for a side cover bolt check my pics then check your upper crankcase in that area. If yours is cracked it will leak like a sieve. I think someone stripped their cases and welded the crack but IMHO it's game over for the cases if cracked.

Attachments

• crackcase 002.JPG
    crackcase 002.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 2,302
  • crackcase 001.JPG
    crackcase 001.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 2,390
Ill get all that rtv outa there and check tomorrow. Hopefully it just mangled that seal. Slowly finding out this bike is hack job city.....

Who would think rtv was a good idea...good luck I hope it's just the seal. When I got my xs the guy told me that he did all his own carb work. I didn't know until later that meant he fucked it up....lol

I just bought this 78 a few days ago. Tore it all down to rebuild it
Noticed all this RTV and the pushrod looks bent. Should it be bent or straight? The way its bent it almost looks like its supposed to be but I'm not sure.

Hi RFritz79 and welcome,
like they all said, the clutch pushrod shouldn't be like that.
Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and you won't go broke fixing it.
BTW, what's the rest of the bike look like and did you get a valid title?

Yea I have a good title. Has a hard tail on it. The welds are UGLY. So I'm gona go over everything again and make it nice. Found a good half inch of bondo on the frisco tank. Not happy about that. Besides that it's not too bad. A lot of elbow grease ahead. Btw the case is ok. It just oblonged the seal. So I think I'm in the clear. Knock on wood

There's also a bushing in the case behind the seal that I'm sure that bent rod has done in. If the bushing is bad, even a new seal will leak. Yes, people do some crazy things to old bikes. I notice you have a PMA. Let's just hope the P.O. made timing marks for it, lol. I just don't understand why people install them with no timing marks, but you see it around here all the time. I guess they don't think being able to accurately set timing and valves is important, lol.

Nice to see the WNY contingent growing. I'm in the Southtowns if you need anything. Been cruizin' around the area for nearly a decade on my XS. It's the perfect local ride in my opinion, big enough but not too big.

as others have said you'll need to replace both the clutch pushrod oil seal and bush .

The easy way to remove the bush is to prise it out not drill it out . The bush is split so that they act as a spring which holds them in place . If you tap a fine metal screwdriver point behind the bush to one side of the split it will curl into the centre and pull out with some needle nose pliers.

Back