Side stand falling down ?

davetherave

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had a problem with the stock side stand falling down?
I put a new spring on but it doesn't seem to hold it up tight to the frame and it is scraping on the road going round corners.
Cheers,
Dave.

Make sure that the little clip that the bolt runs through to the frame is facing the right direction, if it's not there will definitely not be enough tension. If you were able to put the spring on by hand without a set a pliers to stretch it, it's probably wrong.

Not sure what you mean, this is what I'm looking at.

11703112_686464668164826_8614312035304670784_n.jpg

11403508_686473884830571_6416552670703995547_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Dave that's the clip I was referring to. It can go on two ways and one is wrong and will cause you the lack of tension. Also make sure that it is on the notch because then it could potentially go on an infinite number of ways that are wrong.
Also make sure you are using a factory spring. My junker didn't have a spring when I got it so I just went to the hardware store and bought a spring of similar size. Turns out though without that swivel on one side bad things can happen when you kick the bike and the kickstand doesn't stay put...

It's just one clip, you should already have one on the bike otherwise you would have no place to attach the spring. As far as the bolt length is concern, this clip wouldn't effect that since the post on the frame that the bolt threads into is notched so this clip locks on and fits flush to the thread surface.

I think you are right, it doesn't look like an Original mount.. :banghead:
I wish the bloody PO's wouldn't fudge things up so much . Grrrr...
where it is mounted now the spring reaches its most contracted before the stand is right in.! So as I push it right under it stretches it a little again and it springs back out about an inch even more since I put some grease on it. :(

Back