Small compressor

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi people. I'm rebuilding my engine and commonly come across the need to blow through parts / dry / clean things ideally with compressed air. I don't have a compressor and only a small garage and wondered what I could use for such tasks. Can anyone recommend a small compressor for such tasks? I wondered if the little ones used for airbrush stuff would be good enough? So something like that. A full size compressor would seem to be overkill. Any thoughts? I'm in the UK by the way. Cheers

at least 5 gallon, 1 1/2 hp; get the biggest one you can stand; the tiny airbrush compressors won't do what you want

A free blowing nozzle that is not driving a rotary tool can eat up 8 cubic feet per minute of air per minute through a 1/4" hose and nozzle. I have a 30 gallon, and it does well. You can work with a 5 gallon capacity, but the motor size that is compatible makes for a pretty slow recovery from a hungry tool. Anything over 1.5 cubic feet per minute will have it running constantly, btw.

hi people. I'm rebuilding my engine and commonly come across the need to blow through parts / dry / clean things ideally with compressed air. I don't have a compressor and only a small garage and wondered what I could use for such tasks. Can anyone recommend a small compressor for such tasks? I wondered if the little ones used for airbrush stuff would be good enough? So something like that. A full size compressor would seem to be overkill. Any thoughts? I'm in the UK by the way. Cheers

Hi adi,
at least in the UK there's 240V power not the pathetic North American 110V stuff than means having to get a 220V line installed in the garage to run more than a fractional horsepower motor.
Tell you what NOT to get, an oil-free direct drive compressor. Yes, they cost less but they are massively noisy and are quick to self-destruct.
Get an old fashioned compressor that is belt driven and needs oil for lubrication.
Never mind the tank size, either. What's important is the CFM number.
6CFM minimum, 10CFM is good.
With 10CFM you can do anything short of serious grit-blasting.
In a small garage, save space by getting a compressor that has it's tank standing upright with the motor & compressor on top.
WARNING
Air tools are addictive. It starts with a blower nozzle, then a paint gun (+ pressure reducer + dryer + filter) ; next an impact wrench and perhaps a nut-runner. Then it gets worse. You have been warned.

This is great advice guys thank you very much as always! I'll start looking. I can fully imagine getting air tool hooked, I've been in denial until now haha

I agree with most that you should get as big as you can. I use a $150 Harbor Freight 21 gallon 3 horse with a 4.9 CFM at 90 PSI. Not much but it will run an impact wrench. Not long or well but it does it.
The spot sand blaster works very poorly.
And yes, air tools can be addictive. I'm always looking at them. I don't buy mostly because my compressor won't handle them.
Leo

I think the original question was about small compressors, not the ones used for air driven tools.

I don't use air tools. I have a Sears Craftsman, 1 HP , rated at 3 CFM at 90 psi. I've had it for about 27 years now, and it still works as well as the day I bought it. I use it for pumping up tires and for general cleaning such as carb passage ways etc. Its all I have ever needed.

Yeah I should have said really that when I meant cleaning what I meant was for blowing through carbs, blowing off / drying engine bits I've just cleaned up. I'm not sure I'm gonna have space for a proper compressor, I only have a small garage with 2 bikes + push bikes / workbench / storage boxes etc. I would love something I can work other tools on down the line but just don't think I have the space at the moment.

Small/portable 2-3gallon pancake compressors often show up here in the states on sale around $70 (new). Contractor crews love 'em. Very portable, they work better with a long power cord and short hose, compared to vice-versa.

Warning: This is a 'gateway' drug...

Back