Solo Seat Springs

yeah i was. looks great out there. i have a buddy that has family out in mud lake. and as a kid i used to go to boise every summer to visit distant family. ill be biking that way at some point in my life.

Great, and email me if you do. I'd like to meet another addict and extend some hospitality LOL. This build is my second 650, but for my son. I may be heading for Medford next summer and if so let you know.

Barrel springs here. on the XS. My Harley is a hard tail with no springs, so the barrels feel great to me. Not to harsh, have good travel. Seems to me the scissors style would not be as solid, would bottom out, and possibly fatigue easier, but never had them so couldn't tell ya.

I have heard the scissor springs are stiffer than the barrels, which contradicts common reasoning. I have no experience with them though so I cannot say. I prefer a nice padded frame mounted seat to a hard sprung seat personally.

I have heard the scissor springs are stiffer than the barrels, which contradicts common reasoning. I have no experience with them though so I cannot say. I prefer a nice padded frame mounted seat to a hard sprung seat personally.
I've been wondering about that for a while. I've always ran mine with springs but thought about switching to a thick king/queen. How thick is yours?

What's a King/Queen? Just a padded seat?
1381844338.jpg

Speaking of your neck of the woods... I live in Meridian, ID. Been to IC quite a few times on rides and drives. Got snow yet? LOL

Not here in town, but up on the mountain we had about 3 inches. It's still pretty fair weather for riding. Trying to get in what I can before it's too cold. Sure like your bike in the photo album. If you're up this way again let me know. Go to Diamond Lil's on Idaho City's Main St and have them call Charlie. They know my number and I'll go to meet ya.

Well, I'm going elk hunting...later.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about that for a while. I've always ran mine with springs but thought about switching to a thick king/queen. How thick is yours?

I don't have one at the moment. I'll be making a new seat for my xs400 tho and I'll probably go at least 2" with some soft closed cell foam. My last hardtail had about 1 1/4".

Back