SP DT toggle as headlight switch?

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Can I use that toggle switch to run my headlight? Sorry for the noob question. Is there another switch I need for the headlight?

Thanks!

I have a simple toggle switch in what used to be the high-beam indicator of my headlight bucket. Off in the middle, low to the left, high to the right. That would be a SPDT, sounds like it's what you're looking for.

if you want to be able to shut the headlight off, do it like this

Attachments

• SWITCH.PNG
    SWITCH.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 346
You can also use a single pole double throw (SPDT) center off toggle switch that turns the light off in the center position, thus eliminating the extra on / off switch. Make sure it is rated for at least 5 Amps. That type of switch is sometimes shown as ON-off-On in the catalogs.

www.newark.com has them for $1.59. Their part number is 98K4974

thats what i did on my chopper i had....LOW--OFF--HIGH set up.

Now i use a normal bar switch, but in the headlight bucket i spliced in a mini toggle that shuts the low beam off and turns on a yellow DRL inside the headlight. So during the day my headlight is yellow. But it draws way less amps then the normal head light.

Last edited:
Im still trying to get mine to work. I bypassed the og handlebar switch and connected black (hot) to the center post on toggle. I've got green and yellow on either side of that going to the light. I still cant get my light to work. HALP!

Back