Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit?

Rogue21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever repaired spark plug threads in an XS650 before? It looks like the PO of my bike had some type of issue with the spark plug threads and maybe drilled an tapped the hole. The threads per inch are fine and a spark plug will thread without binding, but the diameter of the hole is too big for the plug and it results in a loose fit allowing compression to escape.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience using helicoils or threaded inserts?

Be aware that you are probably going to have to take the head off to prevent metal bits from getting into and destroying the cylinder.

Be aware that you are probably going to have to take the head off to prevent metal bits from getting into and destroying the cylinder.

Hi DogBunny,
if the OP has already pulled his motor, yes indeed.
If it's still in the bike and he don't want to remove it he could turn that cylinder onto it's inlet stroke, remove the carbs & intake manifold, make a flange & 1/4" tube adapter and blow air into the firing chamber to force the shavings outwards.

Well, I did qualify my response with "probably." The other possibility is that they make special spark plug thread restorers that are in two or more pieces and collapse, allowing them to be completely inserted into the hole, then they are expanded and you chase the threads from the inside out, drawing the metal bits out as you go. But from his description, I think Rogue's threads may already be too far gone for this solution.

Nah. No head removal necessary. Did a timesert on my xs400 last fall. Easy peasy. Adapted a small piece of fuel line to my vacuum to stick in through the plug hole and really clean the left overs out. Put another 200 km on it since I did it. No problem.

All good advice. It seems like there is success in leaving the head on and making sure to properly remove any chips. However, I feel with my luck, I would end up missing some metal shavings in the cylinder which would only cause further headaches..

Back