Spend some to make some

I read about this a while ago, it's one of those things that makes me quite angry, the stockpiling of decent things that just get left to rot by fools, about twenty years ago I needed a very hard to source part for a bike, and a chap along the lane from me had one that was never going to be used, he was elderly and had many bikes covered up in his garden that he was going to restore though he never lifted a finger to do anything on them, when he died his family sold the lot for scrap, so in situations such as this all I can say is selfish B******S.

Spending and Making? Only certain people have the combination of passion and money to do these justice. Most will end up in private collections and museums.
As for selfishness? I don't really see it quite that way. During the 70's and 80's I collected a shit-load of bikes and parts no-one wanted. They would simply have been junked. Today? Different story.
Same with these. There was a time when no-one wanted Broughs. Vincents etc were the super-bikes. And even then no-one except for lovers wanted them after a while, for a while.
I admire people like this. Their passion and resources have made it possible that machines like these survive. Without the collector-instinct hunters would have a hard time surviving.

When this chap accumulated these bikes in the 1960s 70s the likes of Broughs and Vincents were very collectable, unfortunately the clubs for these bikes over here are very elitist and they stockpile and never part with anything and would rather see it rot than part with it. It's a mentality I do not share, it's like the spares for my XS I have gathered over the past few months, when the build is finished if people need something I shall give that part away, no sense in waiting for it to waste away.

He was not an "avid collector", he was an idiotic hoarder with apparently few brain cells. He should have been shot for the condition of those bikes.

Coulda spent a little more time saving and protecting these rusty gems instead of IGNORING THEM! Rotting carcasses locked away in a damp British root cellar for no one to enjoy!?!? :wtf::poke::mad:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much "patina"!!!!!!!:banghead: Astonishing depictions of moto-mortality due to "elitists" who want to sit on something till it's GONE!

And yes, I would repair/restore at least one.......:D......but now you'd be spending a sh*tload and making a little. Not that it wouldn't be a labor of love......

Had he not been associated with the Brough Superior club, I would agree with the moderate opinions, but since he knew what he had, he was a dog in the manger, a hoarder. How could an enthusiast let those go to wrack and ruin like that? Shameful.

Yeah, the condition of those bikes makes you sick, don't it?
While nothing is truly unrestorable, bringing those machines back to a rideable condition will cost far more in time and effort than they'd ever bring at resale.
I'd suppose their best use would be as a museum display of a horrible example of stupidity and neglect.
Did they go up for sale yet?
What did they fetch?

Back