spokes/avon skinnies

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting rid of my mags and tires, and swapping out for some avon boardtracker tires and some larger spoked rims, what size will fit my 78? Where is a good place to buy them at minimal cost

I bought two 23" rims on fleabay for twenty/twentyfive dollars each. Spent about $200.00 on spokes from Bucannans. Checking into 23" tires and tubes. It will cost me another $200.00. Throw in the powdercoating for $80.00, and I'm right at the $500.00 mark. Hope that helps.

I don't know what your running for the rear. Stock swing arm? Or hard tail? I don't think you could do much bigger diameter than 19" on a stock swingarm, but a hardtail could be modded up to most any diameter simply by cutting out the cross braces and rewelding in a new position.

Last edited:
I bought two 23" rims on fleabay for twenty/twentyfive dollars each. Spent about $200.00 on spokes from Bucannans. Checking into 23" tires and tubes. It will cost me another $200.00. Throw in the powdercoating for $80.00, and I'm right at the $500.00 mark. Hope that helps.

I don't know what your running for the rear. Stock swing arm? Or hard tail? I don't think you could do much bigger diameter than 19" on a stock swingarm, but a hardtail could be modded up to most any diameter simply by cutting out the cross braces and rewelding in a new position.

what rims did you buy? I just dont know what will fit; Ill attach a picture it's a hardtail so not sure how much room i got. Have you bought tires yet?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No, haven't bought the rubber yet. That project is on the back burner right now. Both rims where off of Honda dual sports from the late 70's early 80's models.

Here are a few pics.

bt2.jpg

bt1.jpg

I'm using the front drum from the Honda dual sport bike, instead of a Yamaha front brake drum. The rear drum is the Yamaha XS650. I relaced both wheels with new spokes. There are no rear wheels that are 23" that you could just swap in.

Last edited:
No, haven't bought the rubber yet. That project is on the back burner right now. Both rims where off of Honda dual sports from the late 70's early 80's models.

Here are a few pics.

bt2.jpg

bt1.jpg

I'm using the front drum from the Honda dual sport bike, instead of a Yamaha front brake drum. The rear drum is the Yamaha XS650. I relaced both wheels with new spokes. There are no rear wheels that are 23" that you could just swap in.

they dont have to be 23 inch, i'm just looking for something that would like nice on it

Dual 21's would be easier and cheaper. I would find 2 front xs hubs, use mikes spokes to lace them to 21" rims, then use omar's kit to run one of them on the rear. That way you don't have to redrill a rim for a rear drum hub. A pair of avon speedmasters will be the skinny icing on the cake. By the looks of your frame, the bike would end up beng really tall due to the lack of drop built into your hardtail.

Dual 21's would be easier and cheaper. I would find 2 front xs hubs, use mikes spokes to lace them to 21" rims, then use omar's kit to run one of them on the rear. That way you don't have to redrill a rim for a rear drum hub. A pair of avon speedmasters will be the skinny icing on the cake. By the looks of your frame, the bike would end up beng really tall due to the lack of drop built into your hardtail.

I dont want it to be too much taller how about 19's?

19's are even easier, then you won't have to relace anything. You will have to fab up brackets for the rear disc brake master cylinder though. Why not just run 18 rear and 19 front? You can stay skinny that way, using stock xs wheels.

Back