Starter Block-Off

prodgod

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on running kick start only on my '77 XS650 engine and I am working on removing the electric start system. I already removed the starter, and I am trying to figure out a way to block off the starter hole in the engine case without having to take an endcap off the starter and modify it to block the hole. I saw the block-off kit on mikesxs, but how does it mount? It looks to me that you take the shaft side endcap off the starter, and bolt those plates in the hold where the starter shaft used to be, then bolt the endcap back on the engine as it doesn't seem like it will work to bolt it right onto the engine case.

I have thought about getting an aluminum plate machined that will fit over the hole, then drill and tap the engine case on two sides to bolt the plate to the case and make a gasket to seal it. I could also have an aluminum slug welded into the hole, but I would have to take the engine over to my buddies shop where he has a tig and get it done, which would be a lot of trouble.

Has anybody ever blocked the starter hole on the engine without modifying a starter endcap to block the hole? I have access to having parts machined and cut on a mill, lathe and CNC laser cutter, so custom parts shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks,
Mike

The block off kit works great.Drain the oil,remove the starter and starter cover .Install the round aluminum plate.The locking nut goes on the inside.Tight the bolt but not too much or you will bend both covers.install a new cover gasket,put the oil back and you are done.

The block off kit works great.Drain the oil,remove the starter and starter cover .Install the round aluminum plate.The locking nut goes on the inside.Tight the bolt but not too much or you will bend both covers.install a new cover gasket,put the oil back and you are done.

Wow, EVEN I could do that! Thanks!

If you are careful you can even reuse the cover gasket, I hevent had to replace one yet and I've done it 4-5 times already.

Does the block off kit mount right to the engine case or do you need to modify your starter to make a cover for the hole? It doesn't seem there is enough flat surface to the side of the hole inside the case for the plate to mount to. Do you happen to have any pictures of the kit installed?

here is how it looks from the outside, I put the nut on the outside to make it easier to tighten in case it works loose.
1289964293.jpg

It looks like your starter is located a lot more towards the center of the case than mine. On mine, the hole is almost flush with the case wall on the inside, and there are ribs around the hole is a few locations, that's why it doesn't look like that kit will work for me. What year is your engine?

they are all the same. i have used the same blockoff kit on a 81, 76, 75, 80, and a 73(current).

the blockoff kit utilizes the factory starter seal to plug the hole. It is barely larger in diameter then the seal, so the ribs inside the case don't matter. All xs650 starters are in the same location for all years of the motors. It will fit your 77 easily.

Alright thanks. Would anybody happen to be able to get me a pretty accurate outside diameter for the two halves? Like I said in the first post, I have access to a nice lathe, so I could make this parts for free from scrap pieces of aluminum laying around.

My motor cases where apart when I got the kit so I also removed all the other starter gears inside the motor.Lot's of gears and dead weight.

I am removing all the gears that I can without splitting the cases. I am trying to lose as much weight possible on the bike I'm building without taking the engine completely apart. My goal is to get my project bike down to around 375 pounds wet when it's done.

I don't see me selling this bike anytime soon, and since I'm making my own harness for it to reduce the wires down to the bare minimum with no battery setup, I think I might as well just take the engine to my buddy with a tig and have him weld an aluminum slug into the starter hole.

Alright thanks. Would anybody happen to be able to get me a pretty accurate outside diameter for the two halves? Like I said in the first post, I have access to a nice lathe, so I could make this parts for free from scrap pieces of aluminum laying around.

I'm away from the garage till the weekend, so if you give me a couple days and I can get them for you.

i couldn't sleep so i figured i'd contribute something, instead of just asking questions, and post this up - hope you can read it, if you can't let me know and i'll rescan it

full

Thank you very much for the drawing! I can read it just fine. I will start working on turning one down soon.

Back