Starting from scratch

Shorty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys...
Im another newbie on this site. Been wanting to do an XS for years but was never financially an option. Build a few bikes over the years and then hit some hard times and had to sell everything. Fast foward 2 years and Im back to wanting another bike project but still dont have any extra money trying to get out of our financial hole. My buddy is trying to clear some space and I end up scoring my current project. Its a 72 XS2 in horrible shape. Pretty much a frame and a motor, and a spare newer motor included. My question is, keeping budget minded what is my best bet as far as electricals. I have no ignition system whatsoever, no carbs, no wiring. I love wiring, was a stereo and alarm installer for years rewired tons of complete vehicles. Just trying to figure what would be my best bet as far as ignition, charging, etc etc without breaking the bank. And what all do I need (Like I said new to the XS scene) Bike will be minimal no turn signals. Would love to not run a battery. Just want to know what would be my best bet starting from scratch with minimal XS knowledge. I will be starting a build thread here soon with lots more questions. Thanks for any help.

Welcome Shorty,
Well, as far as your saying you have no electrical at all, you need to make a decision as to what your going to do with the girl.No battery, then a PMA charging system is needed. Not cheap. But, not a whole lot more than new stock stuff. If you use the PMA, you would have to either use the stock point set-up or one the Pamco unit's. Both very good.
You can get alot of part's used on this site from member's who have either have extra or went performance. Carb's used are not too bad, as alot of the stuff is in the classified's.
There is everything on repair's in the sticky's,too. So, welcome, and good luck on your project. BTW, if your gonna cut it up and hardtail it, be ready.

So would keeping a battery on it make things alot cheaper? Both motors still have the points setup in the motor itself, have no problems running points. Just didnt know if going with newer 1980+ would be an option+

I know in most cases hacking up an early bike will get you flamed... But this thing was previously hacked upon some, rattle canned while complete and rode hard and put away wet...

Bike will be a swingarm bobber. Already made cuts

I would suggest going with the newer motor if it's '74 or up. Early motors up to '73 were what is know as the "256" type. They are different internally than the '74 and up "447" type. Parts are harder to find and more expensive for the "256" motors.

No worrie's on chopping from me. It's your bike, right? Screw 'em. Seeing as you already got a point set-up, go with that. It's pretty reliable, and won't cost much to clean it up. The TCS ignition on the '80 and newer bike's good, but the pickup is on the charging rotor. So you would need one of those plus all the component's for that.
If you don't use the electric starter, you could opt for a small battery. On all 650's, they need a battery to run the charging system. Now with the PMA, (permanent magnet alternator),you don't need the battery because the magnet's activate the system. But you would need a capacitor for running your light's. A capacitor is much easier to conseal than a battery.

I would suggest going with the newer motor if it's '74 or up. Early motors up to '73 what is know as the "256" type. They are different internally than the '74 and up "447" type. Parts are harder to find and more expensive for the "256" motors.

Ok... That's Good Info. the 72 motor was seized I got it broken free but I'm sure there was some internal rust going on. the other motor is a 76 or 77 447 motor. spIns nice and free was supposedly a good motor but its missing all the side covers and some stuff there will the stuff for my 72 motor work on that?

so as far as getting ignition on this thing what all components do I need to try to scrounge up?

Back