still grinnin, maiden voyage.

1rarebru

1rarebru
Reaction score
Man, been a while since I have made any thing this cool (like never) from scrap iron. I have owned harleys since '87, and take alot of pride and joy in them. But just didnt have to do all that much modifacation to them. The bobber started out as a '79 xs which I found in a iron pile. It had no bars/controls/and half of the electrical was gone. The Idea was to teach my son some mechanical/fabrication skills and build a bike for him to ride to school. Seems as though when I had time to work on it he was working on girls, so he didnt learn much but I sure did. The bars are dirt bike, headlight is a rear worklight off of an "M" tractor (made into hallegen). Tank is honda barn find. I cut the frame off at the rear down tube and made tubing wishbones to swingarm (but dropped frame to 4" from ground). put a Pamco ignition in, used a riggs adapter and fabricated my own rotor to make perminate mag charging system. use the 2 full wave bridge rectifiers and a chrysler regulator. Got the rear fender ("4 wide )solo seat/springs,and the limp dick tail light out of a chopper shop in San Antonio. I did all the engine/carb/and brake work as required. Just started it in 30 deg temps w/3 kicks. still grinnin. 1rarebru

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 189
  • cdtBOBBER1.jpg
    cdtBOBBER1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 167
  • cdtBOBBER2.jpg
    cdtBOBBER2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 196
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 185
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 174
Interesting way to do the hardtail but whatever works I guess! Also some of those pictures are really small. Good job on bringing one back from the dead though.

Got any pictures of the rotor you fabricated?

ha chicks are the reason I wrench...

Indeed an interesting and different way of doing the hard tail I like it

Hey art from junk ,and no TIG either I bet. Ride it like you stole it and enjoy. Better watch out, one O them Harleys is going to be next. Once you start......

sorry but cameras and I dont work together well, didnt document the rotor refab but can tell you what I did. wasnt able to locate a yamaha rotor that went outside of the stator( they all had the stator mounted to the cover case), so I found a '86 kaw 600 something that had the right stator configuration and rotor. but found that the kaw rotor wouldnt match w/xs crank(start cussing now). then found a yamaha rotor that fit the shaft but not stator(continue cussing). did a bit of measuring w/digital calipers and found that if I drilled out the rivits holding the magnet/cup to the hub on the kaw rotor and flipped it over and remountedcup to hub after tapping holes in hub to 3/8". then I drilled out rivits on yamaha rotor and removed hub. used a grinder to cut the flange off the yamaha hub and mated it to the flange end of the kaw hub. needed 2-.010 washers between the hubs to make sure of clearance. used a 5/8" fine bolt (couldnt find right size in metric) to pull together tight. spun it in a lathe w/dial calipers to check for true. and welded, and then cut off the end of the kaw hub. bolted mag/cup back on w/ short 3/8 bolts. put it on, started bike and had 17 volts. nothing to it.....haha. 1rarebru

I guess I took this project on before I found this site. seems like I always have to dive in before learning to swim. but so far Ive made it to shore.

Well I must say that I'm not going to try to copy what you did! I'll stick with a proven banshee rotor and the stators on "the list". Didn't the Mr Riggs adapter come with instructions that tell you what rotor (banshee) and what stators to use? Mine did.

like gggGary said"?" actualy I searched localy etc couldnt find any sets on list, so I started looking for the right measurments. thats how I came up w/ the kaw set up but I didnt realize at the time that it wouldnt fit on xs crank as hadnt yet gotten rotor puller from Mikesxs. so needing to update my cussing skills the saga continues. 1rarebru

Back