Strange thing happened on the way to work ! NEED HELP !

TurboFarviknugn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Strange thing happened today on my way to work, the day started off as any other enjoying my cruise to work on my hard tail bobber. Cruising along shifting through the gears, then go to hit 4th gear and NOTHING THERE it was just as if I had hit neutral. SOOO I shifted up again and it dropped into 5th gear, so I down shifted and there was 4th gear, HUmmmmmmmmmmm.:wtf: Thinking I just missed the shift so I pulled over to to it all over again SAME RESULTS ! :wtf:

I have changed NOTHING on the bike between yesterday and today. On the way home same issue about every 3rd run thru the gears 4th gear disappears on me. I did notice that when shifting into neutral at a light or when parking the shift CLICK into neutral has become less pronounced (Dont know if that means anything.) I do have foward controls and have checked ALL linkages everything is as should be.

I have been riding daily for over 4,000 miles now and have NOT experienced anything like this before.

ANY SUGGESTIONS where to look, what to look for as I am dumbfounded ! :banghead:

Well it seems as though y'all were RIGHT !

A broken spring. Attached are some pics for those who have never been into the wet side of their covers (my first time in myself). Pretty easy to spot what was wrong.

Shipping has been slowed by the BLIZZARD, since its SPRING LIKE weather here in South Texas (or Northern Mexico as some see it). Decided I would re bend the end until the proper springs arrive, although she works fine with the end reworked. :bike:

Wet side 1.jpg

Wet side 2.jpg

Wet side 3.jpg

Wet side 4.jpg

Thanks again to THE SITE ! The system is working !!!! :thumbsup:

Back