stuck in neutral

blank slate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Believe me I hate asking for help. But when all options have been exhausted I have no choice.

First I looked into my 4 manuals which are useless. Then did searches, and found some videos that gave me ideas.

clutch adjustment video

I read 5twins’s post here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/clutch-adjuster.51063/

But no matter what, I cannot get the bike out of neutral. Yes there is a ball inside the adjuster mechanism. Spring is good. When I pull the clutch handle I can see the adjuster mechanism pull in and out a half inch or so. The foot shifter is held strong but doesnt “click” to let me know gear has shifted. So Im thinking this is where my issue is, with the foot pedal shifter thing.

If this gets fixed today I get to ride the bike for the first time this year. Help!

Attachments

• DA9489D7-B22F-47DC-95C4-D160A1042AE2.jpeg
    DA9489D7-B22F-47DC-95C4-D160A1042AE2.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I'm unclear here. Stuck in neutral or clutch not engaging/disengaging? With the engine not running, rocking bike, (or rear wheel if it's on a stand) back and forth does it shift through the gears? Are you having clutch or shifting issues? two different animals. If you kick start does it spin the engine? (you can feel the compression strokes)

I'm unclear here. Stuck in neutral or clutch not engaging/disengaging? With the engine not running, rocking bike, (or rear wheel if it's on a stand) back and forth does it shift through the gears? Are you having clutch or shifting issues? two different animals. If you kick start does it spin the engine? (you can feel the compression strokes)

Gary it’s time for me to go on a ride!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 159
Gary it’s time for me to go on a ride!

What the helI, now the bike wont start. Starter engages and I hear the combustion happening but it wont catch?Tried with chiloke on, off, giving it gas, and not. Killswitch is on. Battery doesnt seem all that strong so Im charging it again.

It started beautifully yesterday with no choke, now I fix the clutch and this happens. swear these bikes have demon spirits inside them.

I cleaned the spark plugs with electrical cleaner, I charged the battery, was able to get it started, then i look down and see a little smoke coming out of my new rotor/alternator!

definitely a demon inside

Attachments

• E2FF6614-A9B4-497E-B97C-5B6A7387580F.jpeg
    E2FF6614-A9B4-497E-B97C-5B6A7387580F.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 112
Saw the thread, the space between rotor and stator is quite small maybe some of that blue goop got in there and friction, melting is causing the smoke?

Back