"Subtle Hustle"

Boons

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well got her home! Bike is in great shape and relatively unmolested. Wiring harness looks intact, no major leaks, frame seems to be straight. Bike was great to drive (150kms), fits me perfectly and I'm surprised by the power.

Impresses me enough that I'm going to leave the engine alone other than exhaust and k&n filters.

2 issues. One being it high idles sometimes at 3000rpm when in neutral, vacuum leak? Thinking the caps that were put on to convert it to non-vacuum petcock. Second being the electronic start is a no go but I think that is due to a faulty new battery.

Not really a problem but a big nuisance is trying to find neutral. I understand this is common and something to just live with?

Pretty happy with myself for buying this at $1600.

Attachments

• SH 1.jpg
    SH 1.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 229
  • SH2.jpg
    SH2.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 177
  • SH3.jpg
    SH3.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 211
  • SH4.jpg
    SH4.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I need to buy a damn camera instead of my POS phone.....

My Idea for my gas tank is a flunk. Too small...

Attachments

• SH5.jpg
    SH5.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 221
Good one!
Finding neutral can be fun but doing some clutch adjustments can ease the laughter.
On the manual petcocks.......some of us that have converted will link the vacuum barbs together with a length of vacuum tubing. We like to think that it helps equal out the input.....or something.
Of all the Special seats, the one that you have is my favorite and it's what I run on my '83.
Again, good one!
I'll add get the Uni Filters........Commando muffs? 27 inchers.

Looks good! yeah read a bit here before you buy K&N filters UNIs are the normal Goto filters.

Better ride now, the summer's short up dere....
Got to admit I have never seen a pumpkin cover used as a gas tank, go find an unattended semi??

3000 RPM check carb synch.

Looks good! yeah read a bit here before you buy K&N filters UNIs are the normal Goto filters.

Better ride now, the summer's short up dere....
Got to admit I have never seen a pumpkin cover used as a gas tank, go find an unattended semi??

3000 RPM check carb synch.

Think a dana 80 covers or a 14 bolt might work better

Leaking/worn throttle shaft seals can also cause an erratic idle. If everything else seems ok, you might try spraying a little carb cleaner around them and see if effects the idle speed.

Well, getting it registered and insured tomorrow. I'll spend a few days putting around and then go take my class 6.

As for whats going to happen to this bike. I was really sold on doing a hard tail but I have been swayed by Alberta roads that it might be smart to stick with a softy. This bike does a good job of rattling itself apart at the moment no need to add another contributer.

This is pretty well what I'm shooting for.
20120430_2243394.jpg

Yamaha-Custom-XS650-4.jpg

Good balanced bike. Not too simple, and not too much goofy shit. Subtle Hustle. :pimp:

For now I'm concentrating on the mechanical/electrical. Leave the choppin cuttin for winter, or thats what I keep telling myself :doh:.

Boons,
Any more details/photos or site locations for that bike? I'm digging it!

Boons, that is an excellent choice for build inspiration! Looked at their website (thanx, Uncle Bryan), many fine builds. But, I noticed that, starting around 2011, their softtail builds show very little rear fender/tire clearance, the least clearance on your chosen example. Wonder if the suspension is really active, or the shocks are struts in disguise, or some strange suspension trick we've never seen before. And, of all the bobber/brat builds going on, this one uses a very well fitted fixed (?) solo seat that blends very well. Maybe it flexes with the fender, and looks like fixed mount while parked? Inquiring minds want to know...

Had another real close look at pic #1, found the fender brace, so it is indeed a fixed fender/seat setup. Maybe the shocks were lowered somehow for the pics?

If you have rubber caps on the intake manifolds, they can crack in a year or two, which allows air to be sucked in and your idle will wander up and down. Take them off and squeeze them to see if they are cracked. Its happened a couple of times to me, so I now use "fuel line" from one intake barb to the other barb.

If you have rubber caps on the intake manifolds, they can crack in a year or two, which allows air to be sucked in and your idle will wander up and down. Take them off and squeeze them to see if they are cracked. Its happened a couple of times to me, so I now use "fuel line" from one intake barb to the other barb.

I'll throw in that recently I've been getting the 'chirping' telltale sound of throttle seals goin' south. For laughs and hope I checked the barb hose link and clamps. Got about a twist and a half on the clamps tightened. Took her for a run and the birds apparently have gone south instead.

Bike got an oil change today, convenient it can take the same oil as my 93 12 valve. Love me some Rotella 15-40. Also received a pamco high output ignition. Difference in starting and idle is amazing.

Now I have a new problem. Clutch slips when I goose it, revs up to about 5000 and have to back off and ease into it. Didn't do this pre-oil change makes me think it has something to do with my much loved rotella. My understanding was people ran 15-40 diesel oil no problems?

I assume I will have to drain the oil to remove the right side engine cover and access the clutch?

Back