1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Sump cover gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sparkyduc, May 3, 2021 at 8:18 AM.

1. Sparkyduc

Sparkyduc XS650 Enthusiast

I’m going to install my sump cover
    I have always put a light coat of oil on new gaskets
    Any other suggestions?
    Want to make sure it doesn’t start seeping.
    Thanks

gggGary and Greyandridin like this.
  2. hovel

hovel ol' stupid XS650.com Supporter

Clean the surfaces well. Sometimes it takes some solvent like lacquer thinner to remove all traces of old gasket. On the new gasket I would use white lithium grease, probably no better than anything else, just a personal favorite.

gggGary and Greyandridin like this.
  3. Sparkyduc

Sparkyduc XS650 Enthusiast

4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

As with any oil bearing cover with multiple fasteners, tighten them all the same amount. I use an in/lb torque wrench. I used to use 80 in/lbs on all my M6 fasteners but all the talk around here about reducing the torque amount used on lubed fasteners (I anti-seize all my bolts), plus the fact I'm dealing with a 40 year old machine, has me reducing that amount now. I'm going about 70 in/lbs lately and may even eventually try 60.

gggGary and jetmechmarty like this.
  5. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I use Hylomar blue on the cover, a bit of grease on the gasket facing the sump. Those surfaces cannot be too clean.

timbeck likes this.
  6. 5twins

Yes, you want and need to get them eat-off-it clean, remove every last little bit of old gasket and sealer. I use paint stripper.

timbeck and gggGary like this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I smeared anti seize on my sump gaskets and the sump plate literally just falls off now when I remove the bolts to change my oil. I couldn’t believe it the first time. If you’re looking for ultra oil tight, it might not be the best though.

gggGary likes this.
  8. 5twins

I re-use my gasket as many times as it will allow. It will eventually start "sweating" oil but unless it starts dripping, I'll continue to use it.

gggGary and Mailman like this.