Super Newb Question on Exhaust

Socopunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a '73 TX650. Came with stock header pipes and mufflers and a set of shorties in a box. I like the look of the shorties and want to put em on. Is the muffler welded to the header pipes? Or does it just take some yankin' and bangin' to get em off?

not sure about the 73 or what kind of exhaust it has, but i have a 79 with cocktail shakers that i thought would just come off, but after some investigation and closer look and finally with the help of a grinder, i found they were in fact welded on. not much of an answer to your question but i hope that may help a little.

I think they have a screw on connector that holds the mufflers to the headpipes.
If you check on Mike's in the exhaust section it shows the nut.

Dunno about the '73, but I'm pretty sure the mufflers on my '78 were welded on. The PO cut 'em off with a grinder, but there was enough evidence left on the header pipe to suggest they'd been welded on.

Found this part on Mikes.
Mufflerattachment.jpg

Gonna check tomorrow to see if it in fact is threaded.

Once that bolt is off I can see if that crown looking adapter is welded to the head pipes. Hope it isn't I wouldn't want to cut that exhaust in half.

XSLeo - I guess that screw is just to get the clamp off.

I'm not exactly sure just how it comes apart. Once you get the nut unscrewed you will see just how it works.
I think it may have a snap ring of some sort on the head pipe for the nut to lock the muffler to the headpipe.
I'm just guessing on that, never had an exhaust system like that.

Back