"suspended" seat ideas anyone.

Oh did you mean 1 big shock. I thought you were talking about the 3" and 4" mini shocks. They're rated to like 500 lbs and so even though I'm chubby I could never compress those little ones and so the ride would basically be rigid, from what I've been told. Not sure I'd want a big honkin car type shock in there and they cost a bit much for me right now

IMAG0847.jpg

I see massive potential in that thing failing right at the point at the gusset on the top tube. There is a good deal of shock force and leverage at that point. That gusset makes the joint at the backbone tube stronger, but puts all that force at the point the gusset stops on the seat tube.

I've read a bunch on those and most people say they are rated around 500lbs so it's no good for me. I could be wrong but that's what I've read.

Olddude what city. You said you weight 210 so why is 500 no good? I looked at the ones I sell and there 300lbs per inch. If you get a 5" shock thats 1500lbs.

The argument was made that even if I hit a bump my weight wouldn't compress the shock and so it would be like riding on the frame. It made sense to me, 300 maybe. I'll look into it further to be more clear when I get home

Jerry The city is called Solon.

I think there is 3-4 different springs offered they are originally for a mountian bike rear suspension. Mine has 1.75 travel or so feels like swing arm ride i weight 200lbs my springs where red but to stiff so i found the black I do not remember the stated weight. Or you can run a brooks bike saddle like i have as an alternate.

Attachments

• IMG_9739.jpg
    IMG_9739.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_9801.jpg
    IMG_9801.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9802.jpg
    IMG_9802.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 188
I know were solon is I grew up in maple hts. You goin to bike night this summer? Is that your bike in the pics? The shocks I sell have a black spring. Can you adjust the stiffness on them?

Thanks guys for the advice and info. OD great lookin bike man. I'm going to start looking for these lower poundage shocks and see what happens. The spring is on its way so maybe I'll try my hand at that as others say its the most comfortable ride around. Maybe I'll do a build thread on what I come up with.

Jerry are You still gonna try those out and did you get the rating on your shocks or no?

I created a leaf spring floater seat. Not too hard to make either. Not welded to the frame like most but screwed in and I'm about 215lbs and it not only holds me up fine but is a softer ride than the spring seats. This one is adjustable too so you can move the seat back or forwards depending on where you want it positioned.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg