swapping tachs

wood-z

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys! recently the faceplate on the tach on my 80sg came loose,so i purchased a nice replacement.however it must be off of a newer model as it has 4 bulbs (high beam lite is one ) of course the wiring is different. original tach has two bulbs/3 wires-yellow, blue, and black (black to each bulb) with a 3 hole plug.new tach has 4 bulbs 6 wires; 4 hole plug w/ sky blue,yellow,black,brown, plus blue and black wires each seperately.an interesting dilema for a poor electrical guy.after you laughter subsides,any ideas short off a harness swap? as usual i apreciate any help-you guys are the best!

Last edited:
On your replacement tach, it may have come off a different model as well as a different year. That's not a real propblem. Yamaha tachs all use the same gearing.
On the lighting, your stock tach has the high beam indicator, the others just backlight the face.
On your other tach it probably has a netral light as well as the high beam and lighting bulbs. Just unplug your lights out of the back of your stock tach and plug them in the holes in the other tach. The high beam in the high beam, the lighting in the lighting holes. Any that are left over, just leave open.
Another thing you can do is remove the ring holding the glass on by using s crewdriver and prying up the back side if the ring. Once you work all the way around the ring it should come off. Take the glass out of the way. Replace the screws that hold the faceplate. Don't over tightyen them, the faceplate if fragile and to tight cracks it. A drop of lock tight on the screws will help keep them in place.
Replace the glass, the seal and trim ring. Now carefully bend the back of the ring back down to hold everything together.
It sounds hard to do but is easy.
Leo

thnx for the quick reply leo,while waiting for such a reply, i was noodling on it and came to your first solution. i find it amazing how often one gets locked into looking at something a certain way.i also find it amazing how often one has to take something apart after supposedly being finished to redo something as simple as putting a bulb into the nuetral switch hole :doh::banghead:thnx again!:bike::bike:

Back