Tach drive rod ??

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All---A quick question. Can you run a xs650 engine without a tach drive rod if you put a cap on the case opening ??? Thanks....

tim

If a tach stops working it's one of 3 things. (1, Either the tach is broken, (2, the tach cable is broken, (3, the oil pump has broken.

I like to run a Tach, that is the only way to tell if the oil pump fails.

But to your question.............Yes the cable can be removed and a cap put on the Tach drive hole

Hey All---A quick question. Can you run a xs650 engine without a tach drive rod if you put a cap on the case opening ??? Thanks....

tim
Sure. There's a shim/washer that goes on the bottom of the drive shaft where it plugs into the side cover . Make sure it comes out with the shaft... which it prolly won't... In which case you'll need to remove the right cover. You don't want that just floating around in there.

https://tcbros.com/collections/metr...c-fabrications-xs650-tach-drive-plug-aluminum
20220224_191717 (3).jpg

Thanks Jim, I picked up a pretty nice pair of powder coated engine covers and the tack rod is missing. I have an old spare engine on a stand and I like to start it up now and then to let the neighbors know that I'm still alive. JP It also comes with a button cover like yours. Thanks guy's...

tim

If a tach stops working it's one of 3 things. (1, Either the tach is broken, (2, the tach cable is broken, (3, the oil pump has broken.

I like to run a Tach, that is the only way to tell if the oil pump fails.

But to your question.............Yes the cable can be removed and a cap put on the Tach drive hole
I’m with @650Skull on this one. I like to see what my engine is doing. I always thought I had a good ear for engine speed but now tachometers tell me a different story. Great point about the oil pump too.

I had thought that if I used electronic clocks, I could run a short cable from the oil pump to a small tachometer mounted on the frame. It would please me to know the oil pump is spinning with just a quick look down.

I'm going to be running an electronic tach/speedometer and that's why I took out the tack drive and the speedometer drives and cables.
DSC00036.JPG

Back