Tail light permanently on!

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi there. I wondered if anyone can put me in the right direction about an electrical problem I have with my 78 US xs650?

With the ignition turned on the tail light comes on and stays on despite the lights switch on the handlebars being turned to the off position. It means the battery is being drained more than necessary while I'm starting the engine and what not.

Can anyone suggest what might cause this? I assume the tail light should turn off along with the headlamp when the lights switch is turned to off. Any ideas why its not?

I'm useless with electrics so any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
Adi

The stock wiring is set up that way. The tail light itself doesn't draw much current. It shouldn't be enough draw to make it hard to start.
If you want to lessen the current draw an LED bulb in your tail light will do it. I'm not sure just what the LED draw is. I think it's like .45 watts where the regular bulb draws 23 watts. A big difference.
I have converted to LED bulbs in my tail/brake light and turn signals to reduce the current draw. If you do change the turnsignals the stock flasher won't work. When you change out the flasher for an LED compatible flasher the self canceling feature will be lost.
I got my flasher and bulbs at www.superbrightleds.com

You don't have a defect; that's how the bike is wired from the factory.

Edit: Jeez, Leo, you're fast!

This is certainly true of models in the US, not sure thats true of US models in Europe. Not sure where adi1974 is based

Yes, if it is a U.S. model then the tail light is wired right into the ignition switch. Turn the key on and the tail light comes on, no way around it short of rewiring the light differently.

Something else you may notice is the headlight on/off switch will only function with the key on, motor not running. Start the bike or even crank it or kick it over to the point where voltage is being produced and the headlight will come on automatically. This is that safety relay at work. Once it turns the light on, the on/off switch on the handlebar no longer works. The problem is, the light will remain on even if the bike is not starting or if it stalls. This can be an unwanted electrical draw. The only way to turn it off is to recycle the key again off and on.

If you want to make the on/off bar switch function normally and at all times, regardless whether the motor is running or not, simply unplug the blue/black wire going into the safety relay .....

HLSwitchRelay.jpg

Thanks guys that's really helped. I could have wasted hours trying to crack that one! Cheers for the speedy reply

Back