TCI how do i replace it?

Maverick79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. My first post on th board was in the thread about how xs650s are getting hard to find....I now have two :D an 81 and an 82. The po said i need to replace the tci box in the 82. He gave me the box but i don't know how to get to the old one to replace it. My only mechanical expierence so far is changing my own oil,so i'm sure i'll have a lot more stupid questions for you guys lol Thanks for your help.

I suggest getting a manual too. It's under the small cover under left side panel. Little black box. It has a 6 point plastic connector. The finned metal "box" is your regulator/rectifier. Replacing the TCI is mainly unplugging the old one and putting in the new one.

The first thing i did was get a clymer manual,but it's kinda confusing.I found the box,but the left side screw is hard to get to. Is there a trick that makes it easier?

edit Thanks for the wlecome i can't wait to get her running

I removed the black plastic inner fender for better access, 4 bolts, 10mm I think....or was that 3 bolts...either way, better access once removed.

650H and SH models the plug comes out of the TCI, 3 wires white/red, white/green, and black/ white go to your pick-up on the stator. Orange and red/white to the coil, and black to a ground.
On the 650SJ and SK there is a second black/white. This goes to your side-stand safety relay, but the rest are the same as S and SH.

I forgot. The red/white from TCI also goes to the kill switch on the right handle bar and to the starter safety relay.

thanks and no i'm an idiot i'm all confused lol They really need to make a repair manual for dummys for ppl like me. my tci box has like a plug in thing on the end of the wires. The old one doesn't have that.

test to see if pic worked

well at least i figured that out lol

Attachments

• Photo0291.jpg
    Photo0291.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 147
The TCIs are bolted to the bottom of the battery box and in rust country are SOBs to get out. Yamaha thoughtfully used "autostrip" phillips head screws. As suggested the plastic rear inner fender has to come off and it still is no fun to get at.

You want the plug. There should be another plug just like this. See where the frame on your bike goes down between the carbs? There is a group of wire coming up from there. Those wires should have a connector on them that go into the TCI connector. If the wires are cut up, missing connectors, or look messed up then stop. The wiring on these are really simple, but real easy to mess up to. Thus making your bike not run. Since the bike is new to you and you are new to bikes I really suggest reading up on them. Wires are color coded for a reason and these bikes are 30+ yrs old. So who knows what someone else did. Take a bunch of pictures so others can clearly see what you are talking about. That helps us.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I took a few pics from my phone.They're not very good i'm sorry,but i hope they help
I'm not really new to bikes....just working on them You can see the old tci board hanging there with the wires atatched.Should i just cut the wires there and splice them to the new one?

Attachments

• Photo0292.jpg
    Photo0292.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Photo0293.jpg
    Photo0293.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Photo0294.jpg
    Photo0294.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo0295.jpg
    Photo0295.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 145
Yikes! that is going to complicate matters a little bit. Someone had some fun with that wiring. I hope you area petient person and have your multimeter handy. I love the TCI board just hanging out in the open..

Wow, well. In my opinion I would grab some masking tape to label and start to trace everything. You can cut the wires and splice, but I wouldn't. mikesxs makes OEM connectors Part #12-0633 for example. If you're gonna do it, do it right. Nothing like breaking down on the side of the road due to crappy wiring. That all looks a little "birdnestish" to me. Actually pretty unsafe.

Yeah my experience is once you inherit a mess like that best bet is to scrap it and start over with a factory harness cause you just can't crawl inside his head to figure out why he did things the way he did. Not to mention how can you trust someone who left the TCI hanging bare like that.

Make sure you keep those pics for "what not to do".

You can spend the $80.00 and buy a whole new harness. I would.

Mikesxs for an '82 $86.00 Part #24-6583. Worth it.

Back