Teaser

I remember that build well Doug! He did a good job on that resto. 👍🏻 I remember Retired Gentleman sure used to brag about the one he owned.
View attachment 219298
Back in 1976 I remember clearly, standing in a dealership showroom trying to decide whether to buy a 1976 XS500,
View attachment 219297
Or it’s sibling, the XT500 thumper, in the end I bought the thumper because I grew up on dirt bikes and it was just more familiar.

RG's said his was a 76 and had no trouble with it, did a lot of miles apparently

The only bike voted worse than the cb500t by cycle mag in 75.

Ps. Cb500t was voted second to last haha.

5twins mentioned in an earlier post he has used TX500 carbs and re-jet them for his XS650

I've adapted the BS38 carbs from this one for 650 use and they work fine. Basically, they're the same as the '76-'77 650 set, just jetted all differnt and spaced differently.

Gotta take that back...............looks like the 76 XS500 got a change of carbs the same as 76C XS650. The 73 and 75, TX/XS500, (haven't found a pic for the 74), have a different carb set up all together and from what i see its a 2 cable throttle, on and off, as opposed to 2 cables, one to each carb like the XS650.

1658289140340.png

Last edited:
Yep, the carb's on WW's '74 are "high-top" Keihins with vacuum pistons (from my viewing of his pics and FSM anyway).

Last edited:
If you do facebook it might be worth while having a look..........
https://www.facebook.com/groups/32819776037
Thanks Skull I’ll check that group out.
I really appreciate the interest and the information that has been coming across the posts. I’m leaning more towards doing this project “just because”. I find this bike kinda interesting and unique. Obviously it’s not the bulletproof XS650 but I think it could be a pretty nice bike.

Yes, the 500 carbs I adapted were from a later model ('77 I think) and are Mikuni BS38s very similar to the 650 ones. Besides all the jetting and spacing parts, the other major differences are no fuel crossover line between the two carbs and the right carb's fuel line inlet moved to the outside .....

ReadyToMount.jpg

Now, no fuel crossover hose might present an issue if using the set with an older two petcock tank, but shouldn't be a concern on the later single petcock tanks.

Definitely not what I have but I can see how those would work especiallly coming out of that box…😂

Did my due diligence and spent 10 min rocking the bike back and forth in 3/4th gears. Put a heat gun on the jugs but I don’t think it was enough. I don’t have a lot of time to devote to this right now with starting back up on Problem Child but It’s like walking the dog or remembering the wife’s Bday.You don’t always want to but you know you have to.

Did my due diligence and spent 10 min rocking the bike back and forth in 3/4th gears. Put a heat gun on the jugs but I don’t think it was enough. I don’t have a lot of time to devote to this right now with starting back up on Problem Child but It’s like walking the dog or remembering the wife’s Bday.You don’t always want to but you know you have to.
Did I miss the part about the motor being locked-up?

If it is, I hope it's piston/rings stuck @ liner and not (gulp) jumped time.

Please put some Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster in there!:er:

Did I miss the part about the motor being locked-up?

If it is, I hope it's piston/rings stuck @ liner and not (gulp) jumped time.

Please put some Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster in there!:er:
Yknow I could have sworn I mentioned that but I went back and looked and it’s not mentioned. Odometer only has 7222 and oil in the crankcase smelled a little gassy but not burnt or dirty so I’m assuming(fingers crossed) rings stuck from sitting for 40 yrs. Been soaking MMO since it got here.

Tank is toast in IMHO. It’s got pinholes along the two front seams. I know some liners claim to seal pinholes but I’ve seen other tanks out there that would probably take less prep. It’s too bad because the paint was gorgeous.

Attachments

• 42013965-9EC4-4B8F-BA40-FBB83F93472D.jpeg
    42013965-9EC4-4B8F-BA40-FBB83F93472D.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 8CB50860-B828-4157-B702-5F700D636EB3.jpeg
    8CB50860-B828-4157-B702-5F700D636EB3.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 39
I couldn't tell from pic what that tank might show underneath. Good call on finding a replacement. IME, tank liners are not a good solution most of the time and certainly not if there's perforation.

Well, let'er soak while you work on PC; hopefully it will work loose. Sounds like the top-end should come down anyway. If it did jump time not terminal - just valves.

Back