Teaser

Only thing I didn’t find was a tool kit image.jpgimage.jpg

Yamaha seemed to shoot themselves in the foot with the TX range, ending up with three twins with different characters, but the same level of performance
Was a time when they maybe didn't believe multis were the answer despite the growing evidence.

I will No longer refer to this site as “The forum” from now on it will be referred to as “The support group” I now officially have 3 projects that I need to spread some love to. This one popped up today so guess who owns it now.View attachment 219194View attachment 219193View attachment 219195

I'm not of the idea that because it might take a while to find parts or just because it is a TX500 that it shouldn't be considered for a restore or a restomod/whatever just because it doesn't conform to some others ideas...............I think the early ones did have some issues that got sorted by 76.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Yamaha9.html

A recent complete build by an Aussie, (parts are way harder to find here), documented on here
https://www.xs650.com/threads/aus-tx500-resto.33248/

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...yclereaperindustries&_oac=1&_nkw=yamaha tx500

Was a time when they maybe didn't believe multis were the answer despite the growing evidence.
Yes I can understand the reluctance to move to four cylinder engines with their increased width and weight, but road tests I've read for the TX750 puts the top speed lower than the TX650.
OK, so it's probably capable of much higher cruising speeds with less fatigue on the rider, but you could argue that a Norton Commando offered a higher level of performance and no more vibration transmitted to the rider.

Perused eBay and found gasket & seal kits, points, piston and rings, valves, guides, valve seal set, rocker arms, rods, rod bearings, starter chain, cam chain guide. No cam chain or tensioner assy. (yet).

Most is NOS with some aftermarket repro.

It appears doable from parts standpoint.
Not really wanting it for a highway cruiser(got one of those) I just like the fact that everything is there. I do this for fun and the frustration that could come along it’s this bike might make it worth it all. In any case I’m going to see what I can determine about this bike. I am actually the 3rd owner. #2 got this from a friends, Uncles estate sale. The Uncle was the OO and the guy I got it from had it a month. No history other than that.

img039_Page_1.jpg
img039_Page_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, all this help is not only appreciated but it’s amazing. JPD did you get that service manual off the site you linked earlier?
to begin with Im going to approach this like I’ve learned with most other projects that have just been sitting and assume most of the issues are just neglect. Bike sat for almost 40 years.

I am seeing the availability of parts. I hear mention of earlier model issues. Without having gotten into this in detail yet, what should I be looking for?

Cracked cylinder head is the only issue I’ve heard about. The later model single piece head is a direct bolt on as I understand it.

There's apparently an issue with the balence shaft drive on the early bikes, not sure exactly what, but the factory cured it later on.
I also read somewhere that the late type heads can STILL crack, although they are much less vulnerable than the early type.
TBH if I had a test ride on one of these and liked it, it seriously consider one as a project, after all I don't really need eight XS650's
The TX500 was a brave move by Yamaha, it proved they were thinking outside of the box.
Pity about the problems

Somewhere on the ADV forum is a blog about some kids on very old cheap bikes. They rode from Pennsylvania to California and back again. One of the bikes was a TX500. I remember reading about him lapping the valves with toothpaste in someone’s barn. It was a good story. The TX completed the journey.

Thanks guys, all this help is not only appreciated but it’s amazing. JPD did you get that service manual off the site you linked earlier?
to begin with Im going to approach this like I’ve learned with most other projects that have just been sitting and assume most of the issues are just neglect. Bike sat for almost 40 years.
Yep, I downloaded the manual if only for a trip down memory lane. The thread that Skull linked above has some really good info. relating to the valve train and its idiosyncrasies.

Poorly maintained or improperly adjusted, apparently, they jump-time. Perhaps that’s the source of head cracking??

I don’t recall cracked heads specifically. The top-end is 4 pieces; cyl., head, rocker-box and then valve cover. Apparently, some issues arise in getting it all squished together. I’d think using steel thread inserts (rec. Time-sert) to beef-up aluminum, perhaps with liberal use of Loctite and anti-seize in the right places, along with Yamabond could produce a good result. It’s been mentioned that a later head design was employed. I don’t recall a specific issue with the balance shaft, other than it added to the complexity of assembling and timing all the bits.

I haven’t heard anyone chime in about the carbs. Searching those and it appears to be lovers and haters in every group.

I haven’t heard anyone chime in about the carbs. Searching those and it appears to be lovers and haters in every group.
They can't be any different from what we're accustomed to. Without knowing any better, I expect they're nearly the same as the tw0-cable XS650 carbs.

Primary difference would be vacuum piston slide vs diaphragm and Keihin brand - at least on yours. Familiar principles would apply. Old Hondas used same carb type (CB450, etc.)

A recent complete build by an Aussie, (parts are way harder to find here), documented on here
https://www.xs650.com/threads/aus-tx500-resto.33248/

I remember that build well Doug! He did a good job on that resto. 👍🏻 I remember Retired Gentleman sure used to brag about the one he owned.
5BC25B1D-D9E9-4148-B4A8-4D14183B26A0.jpeg
Back in 1976 I remember clearly, standing in a dealership showroom trying to decide whether to buy a 1976 XS500,
0FE21453-E396-439B-9F06-9CAC10D64AE6.jpeg
Or it’s sibling, the XT500 thumper, in the end I bought the thumper because I grew up on dirt bikes and it was just more familiar.

Never ownd one.. only heard that they crack between the valve seats. Two bud's had them for a couple of seasons... no issues. :cool:

5twins mentioned in an earlier post he has used TX500 carbs and re-jet them for his XS650

I've adapted the BS38 carbs from this one for 650 use and they work fine. Basically, they're the same as the '76-'77 650 set, just jetted all differnt and spaced differently.

Back