The “orphan” nut and bolt bin.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know I’m not the only one with bins of ”orphan” nuts, bolts, screws, washers and misc hardware. Over the past couple of years I’ve accumulated several good sized containers and since it was raining here, I decided to start sorting them out. I thought it criminal to throw out good hardware.

Here’s bin #1, 75% done, after a “pre-sort”. It was heaping over the top before I started. Not shown is the big bucket of nuts and bolts. Recovered lots of washers and a bunch of wood screws. Not shown is the large container of nuts and bolts and misc hardware. All of these need to be put in their proper places now. The metric and imperial nut and bolt sort will happen another day. Two more similar bins after this one is done.

Hoping this will serve as motivation to start sorting your collection out. Lol. For me, I’m going to try my best to not let it build up again.

IMG_2654.jpegIMG_2655.jpegIMG_2656.jpeg

That’s happened to me soooo many times. I throw out something I’ve been keeping for years and the next week I need it. The other problem is knowing you have it, but can’t remember where you put it. Each year this happens more and more frequently. I think I lose my keys and phone daily! Lol

Not me, I throw all that junk away...
I have a pile about a third that size. I keep the motorcycle stuff separate from the rest, as best I can.
So far I can remember where I put stuff - if I can remember I have it in the first place!
While looking for something the other day I found a bunch of Honda parts I bought about ten years ago and completely forgot about.

:yikes:I still have a tool box drawer of Corvair nuts & bolts & grommets etc., and I haven't owned a Corvair since 2002! Crazy. I think I keep it for nostalgia, along with some blank-out aluminum tail light covers and some hub caps. I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I owned and drove those cars for 15 years.

Here's some of my orphan bins, I have stuff from 50 years ago. I sort mine out regularly, matter of fact the last two days have been sorting days and I'm no where near finished. Washers, nuts and bolts, sorted by size and thread type, bearings, pillow blocks (no idea why I keep these), chain, resistors, capacitors, diodes, rectifiers, potentiometers, steppers, controllers, LEDs, meters, screws, stainless fasteners by size, thread, type, circuit boads, sensors, hall effect sensors (electronic ignition parts - one day), grommets, coolant pumps, shelf supports, power adapters, cable, electrical,terminals ( every type known to man), allthread, domes, nylocs, allens, coach bolts, self tappers. And would you believe, I never have what I need!

Attachments

• WIN_20240206_19_24_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240206_19_24_11_Pro.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 24
  • WIN_20240206_19_24_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240206_19_24_19_Pro.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 25
  • WIN_20240206_19_24_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240206_19_24_24_Pro.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 24
Back