The BoB-A-SwinG build 1st XS attemp!

Hey Sn34ky,
I see what you are saying and I agree but I still have a small concern with the cross tube.
I made a rough sketch (real rough) of the reaction forces on the rear of the frame as I see it...
In the Blue Highlighted box I have the extra bracket on the "Crosstube"/MCM brat tube... just to give more beef at this point.

What you think.... I am being a bit too conservative? :doh:

full

:D

Ok I see what you are saying! Gusseting the cross tube is a really good idea, add an insurance policy to your butt if the tube goes down!! and probably can take those 2 gussets to mount the oil bag.... humm!! :thumbsup:

50% mock-up done on the frame. Still need to fit flashers, the seat, the coil and some other stuff but the major parts are ready to tig!!

43858329.jpg

88470020.jpg

34532268.jpg

Looking good, really like the bent on the MCM-tubes... wish I would have thought of that.... would have been easier to weld too!.... guess I have to build a third bike.... LOL.

Looking good, really like the bent on the MCM-tubes... wish I would have thought of that.... would have been easier to weld too!.... guess I have to build a third bike.... LOL.

Thanks man! and yeah... it does have a little bit more space for welding on the downtube then the original kit. Jon Krouse is gonna love you if you build a 3.0 version!hehe

Are you gonna running a fender? Looks like the gusset might interfere? Looking good tho.

Thanks! Still not sure where i'm going with the fender... I bought the flat trailer one last fall, but I'm not sure anymore about using it. I might re-use the stock one, plug the holes on it and flatten the mounts... but also the idea of running no fender kinda flying around, but i'll be illegal if so... bah!! but the fender fits no problem with the cross tube, I'm still juggling between mounting it on the swingarm or to the frame...

Swingarm and sissybar for me.... cause I get to have minimal clearance between fender and tire. LOVE IT! :D

Lester

Swingarm mount is my #1 for now too! But i'm not going to run a sissy bar... i want something high up front and lowwwww on the back end!

Hope my dealer finally got my flex head tig torch... I need it to have a sexual explicit treesome this weekend with my frame and my tig box!!:hump:

Oh yeah, must be nice to have a TIG to play with (insert jealousy emoticon here)

That crossbracing looks pretty stout, gussets would give mounting points if needed.

I noticed your rear brake stay mounted on top is in compression.
If that flat stay rod flexes just a little under hard braking, it could buckle.
Or is that just something temporary during the build?

I noticed your rear brake stay mounted on top is in compression.
If that flat stay rod flexes just a little under hard braking, it could buckle.
Or is that just something temporary during the build?

TwoManyXS1Bs... I am not catching what you are on about... the brake stay rod and mounts all look factory to me. What picture are you refering to? :confused: I'm missing it...

Lester

The REAR brakestay, above the swingarm. When the brakes are applied, the caliper will want to move forward, same direction of spinning wheel. Factory brakestays are in tension, when brake is applied the caliper or brakedrum pulls the brakestay, hence it won't buckle.
I saw a better picture of it earlier in this thread...

You probably refer to a rear drum setup, anyway I'm planning on mounting the stock rear caliper Under the swingarm, I need clearance for fender struts and I want both sides look the same! Today I'm stripping the leftover paint on the frame!! Have a nice day!!:banghead:

Back