The BoB-A-SwinG build 1st XS attemp!

Whew, okay, thanx. I thought maybe that was the final setup.
Good, you got this planned. I was worried.
Great job so far...

Aha, OK... funny thing is that the factory brake stay for the drum set up is "pull".... the brake stay is under the swing arm. And the factory brake stay for disk brake is "push" and the brake stay is over the swing arm as in the picutre. Go figure that one out... :doh: There is probably an explination out there....

Hey! Got some work done, yesterday I made a quick paint stripping and work on the upper tripple clamp...

img0006nk.jpg

img0002drtf.jpg

img0003on.jpg

Today I mock-up the tank and the seat, hope I had more time to get the oil bag in place, but you know what it is... my girls wanna see me sometimes!

img0011ik.jpg

25164293.jpg

Last edited:
How did you strip everything so nicely? Nice looking build!

Thanks man! I use this paint remover: http://superdecapant.com/en/products.html

Put a coat, wait 10 min, brush it with a wire brush, another coat,... take about 4 coat where paint were ticker and brush it with a heavy duty wire brush on the grinder for final step... it takes me about 2h for frame and swing arm!

It's kinda cool looking if someone want a bare metal look!! Clear it and good to go!

Good job cleaning up that top tree, looks factory fresh.
You gonna run top motor mounts?

Thx man! As for top mount, yeah i will, at first I had the idea of cutting the stock one to make a custom rubber top mount, but can it make a big improvement on vibration since all others are metal2metal??

Yeah, man! I left my tops off and it took out half the vibration, but that was on the notorious vibrators, the early models. I, and many others, don't have room with the tank there, so we run with it off. Many years and miles later, no frame cracks, just be sure of good electrical ground thru the other mounts. The racer guys need it for frame stiffness...

I have enough place for it with the sporty tank, so i might keep it, maybe give a little bit of life to the braket!! Here's a quick pic of the bike stance with a 3'' drop up front for helping me visualize ( Have a HHB 2'' + 1'' on the clamp if I need it)

Mission for the day: Need to make mounts for the oil bag, coil, rear brake stay, start the kicker pedal and I've already begun to touch up and clean up some of the factory welds that are too ugly!!

And I'm still undecided concerning the back fender, Stock or Flat trailer??? humm Stock kinda look better, but I don't want to spend too much time on it filling holes if it's for decorating my garage! And maybe have a pretty good idea for giving a cool effect to the trailer one...

img0001kxu.jpg

I like rounded fenders on rounded tires....
Looks nice in the picture above.

You're right man! Temperature finally show up this week so I have to start working on the Masseys and prep machineries for going in the fields... so work on the bike will be slower for a couple weeks... I don't think my wife will let me do overtime with the xs!! lol!!

Had a little hour today, so I've quickly open the engine to see what it's going on! Past owner told me the engine have 2000 miles on it since he had it rebuilted... I'm not planning on doing anything special on the engine for now, just taking care of some leaks and a little clean-up. I'll rephase it during next dead season!!

I had some troubles setting the carbs right last summer, it was running a bit rich but didn't really spend time taking care of this... Now with the open engine, I see why! Didn't ask PO what was the bore of the rebuilt, but I know now he had rebuilt as stock size 75mm, but the jetting wasn't right.. got a 140 main and 30 pilot, so even with that little millage a little build-up is starting!! Also made a license plate backet with some scrap plate, but I'm not finish with it!

63548176.jpg

12927359.jpg

78391274.jpg

99764542.jpg

Hey! Still not dead... just had to go thru seeding time for the last 3 weeks, now it's time to get back to work! So today I've finish cleaning motor In&out, rebuilted the head, smoothed&matched the ports just a little bit, change some leaky seals, bla bla bla... nothing to intense so I can ride this summer and make me wait till next winter for a real overhaul!! I've also work a bit on the rear fender, I'm not finish with the mf and finally while doing all this, I've painted the wheels and rotors so I can mount new tires and finish mocking up the frame.

Here's some shots:

36607674.jpg

65420591.jpg

76168227.jpg

82287445.jpg

My redneck setup!!:laugh:

20319331.jpg

55949393.jpg

And the fender... This my inspiration:

43890507.jpg

and the result

13254621.jpg

94491207.jpg

More to come! Thanks for watching!

Engine is looking good.... the fender sort of got my attention but I want to see it on the bike before anything. Good to see your in the shop again... limited time for me.

Thanks bro! I've mounted tires on the Wheels today so tomorrow I'm bringing the frame on the stand to finish it!! I'm gonna do something on the fender to bring a little bit more life to it! If everything went good maybe i'll be ready for paint next week!

I received the card older last week! Looks killer man! The Visa stand perfectly in it!! Thanks alot!

men serieu tu travaille super bien lache pas.....
ton support de plaque est trop sur la coche :thumbsup:

a+

Merci mon pot pour tes encouragements! T'es dans quel coin d'la province? On pourrait se faire un p'tit meet cet été si ça te tente?!

So what I did today:

popped the bike on the table

71573046.jpg

fender before:

14752263.jpg

during the operation:

62464353.jpg

stitched:

57271961.jpg

On the Wheel:

24639692.jpg

Also take some time to work on the TC Bros fender struts kit... here's a shot of the result with the inspiration: (nuts will not stay)

30664266.jpg

Comments are welcome!

Back