Think this engine can be saved? I do!

BiffTirkle

addict
Reaction score
i got this engine in a complete parts bike, i stripped the bike down to the point that i stopped with the engine in the frame with one bolt rusted in.

a good friend of mine had to sell his xs650's for some quick cash, so he was left bikeless. its sad, i know.

tuesday evening told him he could have one of my untitled frames and build another bike.

wednesday i found out the frame i wanted to give him (one that had a disc brake in the rear because i was giving him a set of disc brake wheels also) had this basket case of an engine stuck in it. i had to cut the front engine mount bracket out, rolled the engine out of the frame, and decided to inspect the engine a bit more.

i thought to myself "this would be fun to resurrect". so i grabbed some aerokroil and pb blaster, and saturated the valves, pulled the plugs and sprayed the pistons, sprayed a good deal inside the lovely crack in the case. ill see if i can get it up and going. i have 2 running engines, 3 rebuildable engines, and this basket case. we'll see how it fairs!

any suggestions anyone has with seized engines will be welcome.

Attachments

• 36477_1465147679355_1553423617_1173787_4001346_n.jpg
    36477_1465147679355_1553423617_1173787_4001346_n.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 182
is that a big ass hole in the case above the shift drum? holy crap! good luck to you buddy. Ide yank the jugs and use em for a exchange for a big bor, or... just flashed in my head.... get one cylinder running, and use the other as a air compressor !!
but I think as far as shifting goes, I think its a gonner.

- had gearbox problems - 3rd or 5th gear disintegration leading to gearbox siezure - still got the missing bit?

- this
0195.jpg

- lead to this
0193.jpg

- and this
0190.jpg

0196.jpg

- solution?
0197.jpg

0198.jpg

- a little machining and it works fine

Damn inxs you got all the pics! I can never remember to stop and take pics.

Posted via Mobile

Good luck with the repair, Couple weeks ago i started rippiing apart a seized engine i got from a guy who had about 5 650's in various stages and about 5 engines laying around..he gave me the engine ... he knows a lot about bikes so i did'nt think twice about him knowing what he was talking about..just wanted to see what caused it so i pulled most of it apart and couldnt find anything so i stood there a minute and looked at the rusty stator..had to grind the heads off the bolts removed the rusted on stator and turned the engine...then kicked myself in the ass for mostly disassembling a perfectly good motor.

Back