Ticking noise when first started.

Wrenchmorethanride

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Still trying to get her on the road. I think I’m getting closer.

When I start the bike from cold I hear a ticking noise until it warms up. Maybe a minute or so and then it goes away.

Runs great otherwise.

It’s a stock ‘79.
I’ve done a lot so far. Some things which might be relevant -
- adjusted valves
- adjusted points
- timing chain was not adjusted, seemed close to flush

Thoughts?

Well, maybe, lol. Mine started doing that many years ago and it was one of the things that pushed me into going into the topend. What I found was that the rubber strip on the front cam chain guide had become unglued about 2/3 of it's length ......

Front Guide2.jpg

I figure the loose rubber was slapping against the aluminum base at start-up until enough oil got splashed up to quiet it down.

Well, maybe, lol. Mine started doing that many years ago and it was one of the things that pushed me into going into the topend. What I found was that the rubber strip on the front cam chain guide had become unglued about 2/3 of it's length ......

View attachment 324888

I figure the loose rubber was slapping against the aluminum base at start-up until enough oil got splashed up to quiet it down.
Doh! Now I’m back to worrying :-(.

Is it a complicated job? Need to be done before I start riding?

No, it's not that complicated, but it is quite a lot of work because the motor needs to be removed to get at it. You should be OK riding the bike for a while, just know that you probably will need to go into the topend eventually. Pretty much all these bikes need this now. It's an age thing and the front guides are routinely failing because of it.

Doh! Now I’m back to worrying :-(.

Is it a complicated job? Need to be done before I start riding?
Nope. If the plastic comes off, the chain is going to make noise and the tensioner won't be able to take up the slack.

It will sound like this.

Nope. If the plastic comes off, the chain is going to make noise and the tensioner won't be able to take up the slack.

It will sound like this.
Ya, that’s what mine sounds like for a minute or so then goes away. So, ok to ride this summer? I don’t expect to ride more than a 100 miles all summer.

Ya, that’s what mine sounds like for a minute or so then goes away. So, ok to ride this summer? I don’t expect to ride more than a 100 miles all summer.
Adjust the chain. If the plastic is gone, you’ll be making metal. After making that video, I pulled the engine. It wasn’t in the bike for a mile.

Adjust the chain. If the plastic is gone, you’ll be making metal. After making that video, I pulled the engine. It wasn’t in the bike for a mile.
Sorry, I’m a bit confused. Do I adjust the chain via the cam tensioner and if noise goes away I’m ok? If not then I should not ride until I fix it. Is that correct?

Sorry, I’m a bit confused. Do I adjust the chain via the cam tensioner and if noise goes away I’m ok? If not then I should not ride until I fix it. Is that correct?
Pretty much, yes. If the plastic is gone, you may not be able to take up the slack. You’ll run out of adjustment.

If you hear the cam chain rattle it is there
But at times it can be difficult to know where it comes from
Noises can come and go and leaks also.
I wold perhaps ride a little .. If this is a fresh unknown bike
Compression test and so.
And getting more info .. If there are more things to consider at the tear down
listening with a stethoscope or so ..making it easier focus at the right things when and If it is apart

A possibility upload a video

If you hear the cam chain rattle it is there
But at times it can be difficult to know where it comes from
Noises can come and go and leaks also.
I wold perhaps ride a little .. If this is a fresh unknown bike
Compression test and so.
And getting more info .. If there are more things to consider at the tear down
listening with a stethoscope or so ..making it easier focus at the right things when and If it is apart

A possibility upload a video
I tried the long screw driver method a couple of times but couldn’t pinpoint the source.
A friend who of mine gave me the bike. He was the original owner but stopped riding it more than 25 years ago. Has 9400 miles on it.

I’ll try to upload a video later

I tried the long screw driver method a couple of times but couldn’t pinpoint the source.
A friend who of mine gave me the bike. He was the original owner but stopped riding it more than 25 years ago. Has 9400 miles on it.

I’ll try to upload a video later

Assuming no miles at all .for 25 years .. Things can change after some heat cycles .
And also as Mr 5T says Rubber / Plastic parts sometimes can get old if dry to long.
Not having heard the noise ... I would hesitate tearing it out and down. Just yet.
I would ensure the lubrication is there and.
Give it some heat cycles. Inspecting the plugs and so on
Even after the winter standstill I am used to some misfiring the first 2 or 3 tanks
Up to 300 Km before action

It can be wishful thinking. But you report that it disappears .. I would perhaps wait a little.
And adjust the Cam Chain tensioner
Sometimes aluminum shavings can be found in the lower Oil filter
Maybe it needs to be taken out and done .But it is a low mileage machine
I would most likely wait a little But it is just me
Others chime in

100 miles all summer ..is mentioned

Assuming no miles at all .for 25 years .. Things can change after some heat cycles .
And also as Mr 5T says Rubber / Plastic parts sometimes can get old if dry to long.
Not having heard the noise ... I would hesitate tearing it out and down. Just yet.
I would ensure the lubrication is there and.
Give it some heat cycles. Inspecting the plugs and so on
Even after the winter standstill I am used to some misfiring the first 2 or 3 tanks
Up to 300 Km before action

It can be wishful thinking. But you report that it disappears .. I would perhaps wait a little.
And adjust the Cam Chain tensioner
Sometimes aluminum shavings can be found in the lower Oil filter
Maybe it needs to be taken out and done .But it is a low mileage machine
I would most likely wait a little But it is just me
Others chime in

100 miles all summer ..is mentioned
Update. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner, started it and no noise. I’m not 100% sure that fixed it. Maybe as I was turning ver the engine manually it splashed enough oil on it to lubricate enough to make the sound go away? I’ll let it sit for a while and start again later. If that works I’ll readjust valves and points. Will post when I have another update.

Thanks all!

When I start the bike from cold I hear a ticking noise until it warms up. Maybe a minute or so and then it goes away.

Runs great otherwise.

It’s a stock ‘79.

Any thoughts?

I picked up an '80, second hand from a rebuild - so rebuild provenance unknown.
I was told it was "noisy" but when it was initially started from the guy I got it from it caught fire from a gas leak. He shut it down to dowse the flames and revisited it no more.
I got it in a package deal.
Yeah, it was noisy but the cam chain hadn't been adjusted.
After adjusting the cam chain and valves it had a tick until warm. Trying to pinpoint where it was coming from was nigh impossible, but seemed more to the right exhaust. I revisited the valves all around and nothing had changed.
I'll chalk it up to gggGarys "cam chain slack noise until lubed", though I have considered it could be a valve adjuster. In the meantime I run it........

I picked up an '80, second hand from a rebuild - so rebuild provenance unknown.
I was told it was "noisy" but when it was initially started from the guy I got it from it caught fire from a gas leak. He shut it down to dowse the flames and revisited it no more.
I got it in a package deal.
Yeah, it was noisy but the cam chain hadn't been adjusted.
After adjusting the cam chain and valves it had a tick until warm. Trying to pinpoint where it was coming from was nigh impossible, but seemed more to the right exhaust. I revisited the valves all around and nothing had changed.
I'll chalk it up to gggGarys "cam chain slack noise until lubed", though I have considered it could be a valve adjuster. In the meantime I run it........
Thanks for the input. I’m still waiting to start it again. Maybe tomorrow.

The best and easiest way to check and/or adjust the cam chain tension is to do so while the bike sits there idling. You want to see the little plunger moving in and out a small amount, maybe a MM or two. If it doesn't move at all, you've set the tension too tight, more than the amount of movement I mentioned, it's too loose. You can demonstrate to yourself what a too loose chain sounds like by loosening the adjuster up until you hear the motor start "ticking". Tighten the adjuster back up and the noise should go away, The way I do it is to tighten the adjuster up until the plunger stops or almost stops moving in and out (too tight), then loosen it back up until I get the desired in-out movement I want (about a MM). This adjustment method is pretty much foolproof and gives you the perfect setting, just a bit looser than "too tight". Also, you want to do this adjustment when the motor is hot and all the parts are expanded. Set it on a cold motor and it may end up too tight once the motor gets hot and the parts expand.

Back