tip and question about rockers

arborman5000

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Being that Im new to the rebuilding I just wanted to give a little tip that I figured out, using the back of a knife works great for smoothing any edges that may cause seeling problems. Dont really know how valid it is but I had read to use a tool for reaming pipe but thought that would cut the aluminum too deep, knife just rounds it... easier on hands anyway.
Now for question Im 90% sure I put the rocker arms back where I had taken them from yet when I mock it back they all seem to be hitting the valves to the right of center has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or did someone move mine around on me? Also is it important that they strike on center? Im sure its prefered, they basically line up at the right side.

All the rocker arms are the same. Some times they line up dead center and some times they don't. As long as they are pretty close I don't think you will have any trouble.

I just finished assembling my motor last night and also noticed that the rockers were hitting to the right of center. There is no adjustment anywhere to correct for this so you just have to live with it, or swap out rockers until you find ones that line up better.

Doing the Porsche elephant foot adjusters will take care of that. The foot is bigger than the valve stem and pushes on the whole end of the valve stem. It makes adjusting the valves easier and being that the foot covers the valve stem it won't pit the valve stem or flatten the ball on the stock adjuster.

Thank you I am still confused as yo how it changed they were centered before I tore it apart. I will let you know if it is better when i get it all tightened together fully assenbled, thanks again.

xsleo i think you may be right now that I have it on the bike it doesnt look so obvious. Good news got it running no leaks but the carbs were way too lean. I just got the adjustment screw free, lots of dremel and pb blaster not pretty but cant wait to get them back on and see how she runs!

I know, I know, another old thread. Just had to add this tidbit:

A well designed rocker system will have the tappet ends strike the valve tips just slightly off-center so as to rotate the valve slightly, which provides a "self-cleaning" feature for the valve seat and face. If you closely examine the tip of a used valve, there will be a wear area that appears larger than the adjuster tip contact area, and should have a slight torroidal shape...

Back