Took my xs to a shop

Captmandel

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have posted a few times and if you have seen my posts then you know I dont know anything about motorcycles. I bought a 1972 xs650 with the hopes of customzing it myself into a sweet street tracker/brat type awesome bike. Well I bought some new carbs from the forum along with a new master cylinder and i got my front brake working and the bike running. I did an oil change before any of that just btw. I also installed a pamco ignition that I bought as a kit from mikes with the coil and plugs and wires.

So now the problem, I took my bike to a shop because I realized that I had pretty much met my point of incompetence. (the peter principle?) They charge $75 an hour which is the lowest around and they are a pretty reputable shop. I brought them new grips, a throttle housing, hughs handbuilt hydraulic clutch and pit bike clutch, a speedo and a tail light. I also asked them to look over the bike and tell me if its safe to ride and to call me if there are any major problems.

They called me today and told me that right now where they are at is $375 they fixed a leak where i broke the head off a screw that holds the sump filter in and fixed the timing. He called and said he cant install the clutch because it will take too much time and effort and replacing of parts. That there are "frayed wires" and that one cylinder isnt working right. That the plug is jet black. they say they cant quote me a price because they have to take the carbs apart? I dont know. I dont even know what I am asking. I know all bikes are different, but could this be right? Have I been wasting my time? Is this bike just totally a piece of crap. Or is this a simple problem that the jerks at hte shop are just over looking because its an old bike?

Any tips or advice or just condolences would be appreciated. Let me know what you think, thanks.

taking old bikes to a shop can be expensive. my step brother got hit over the head for a grand at a local shop just for a new base and head gasket installed on his gs850. probably $60 in gaskets and seals but lots of shop time to pull the engine and do all that work. i think the problems you run into taking your bike to a shop is that when one issue is fixed there may be several others that surface. next thing you know you are handing over the deed to your house to pay for bike repairs.

you say you don't know dick about bikes but you were able to install a pamco. you also installed new carbs. owning and caring for an old bike takes more effort and knowledge than owning a modern bike. that's not a bad thing, in fact it's usually part of the charm that most of us love about these bikes. all the info is available to completely break down, diagnose and repair any problems with the xs650. I would suggest embracing this task as a great learning experience and reap the rewards of knowing you fixed it yourself. not to mention the cash you can save. otherwise you will be at the mercy of the shop and someone who probably doesn't care as much about your bike as you do.

:twocents:

Go pick it up right away.

Then don't take this wrong.

There is nothing wrong with these bikes, The shop probably now knows after working on it for 5HOURS its going to be quite a project, they are not sure you have the $ to pay for who knows how many more hours (they don't know either)
These bikes need time and someone knows about them (or like most of us, someone that will take the time to learn and this is not someone who is impatient or in a hurry).
If you have one of these bikes Riding is probably not your top priority.
When an XS650 is finely sorted out and tuned they are great and really reliable and a ton of fun
(the fun is well earned because you know every part and system or eventually will).
Even then they like your hands on them to keep every thing working sweet.
They must have you attention.
My bike has more than re-payed me, we have been though a lot together.
I almost gave up several times.
Most of us started with the bike and knew nothing.

I love riding, haha...that's why I have a sportster...im reading as much as I can on down time and waiting on parts...im sure ill have to find someone in the area that is competent with xs650s...right now I feel like im lost!

Start by getting good repair manuals and reading them. This will familiarize you to the bike how it works. As you read the book look at the bike. Learn what the parts of the bike are by comparing the bike and book.
This will help you fix most any thing you find. When you run into something you don't understand we are here to help.
And as deadchef said no one cares about your bike as much as you do.
We all started out where you are now. With a good book and a few tools there isn't anything you can't do.
Leo

I was in the same boat. These bikes are/were totally new to me as of a few weeks ago, been messing with engines and things for a long time, but everything is just a little diff. Had some issue that we trouble shot, and got before I ever came to this wonderful forum. There is TONS of knowledge here. Do some searching and you can damn near diagnose the issue your self. You have to take it one step at a time. The clutch and most things come with instructions, if you are some what mechanical inclined you can get them in and working. Naturally shops are exp and will( some) take advantage of the one who seems to not have much knowledge on the subject. Could wires be frayed ?? Yes the bike is 30+ years old. I think I would get the bike and try to sort some things out myself before dumping $$$$$$ on it. Figure out what you can then take it to or ask more ?? to fix it. Good luck

Hey everyone thank you so much for your replies. I love reading your experiences and tips. I went to the shop and they showed me the bike. Everything looks ok except that plug on the left is her black. They are gonna just get it going and safe I will probably be set back $500 but you guys have inspired me to try again. Some stuff I think You need a lift, special tools, and a large garage but most of it i can probably do myself.

Ill post updates when I get the bike back, thanks again everyone!

Tl;dr I'm gonna pay to get it running and safe and will probably install the speedo and clutch myself.

Thanks!

Get yourself the manuals and then the tools on an 'as need' basis. You don't need a lift or a fancy garage- all you need is the inspiration and US....we'll help where we can.

If snags come up, post the problem and search the posts for an answer while waiting for replies. There are some things that experience can help get you through unexpected surprises.

Buy a book ..... I know you can read so just read cover to cover and high light terms you don't understand. THATS what people are on here for to help other with there builds. Some shops don't know how to work on older bikes so they charge for there learning curve.

This is the space I work in.......

10125289746_48e1a0763d_b.jpg

And there are others who don't even OWN a garage or shed like me, they build their bikes in their lounges, back gardens, even flats four storeys up!! If you want to do it, you WILL make a plan!

I know NOTHING of bikes, and I have rebuilt my engine from the ground up with the help of these guys and other forums. Trust me, if I can do it, ANYONE can!!!!!

It is a bit daunting at first, but start small. I started with my carbs, not a lot you can fuck up other than stripping the heads of the needles! Take lots of pics as you go along, and post them up here, someone will shout if they see something isn't right.

Save that money on getting goodies for yer 6fiddy dude! The shop will clean you out and then some!!

YouTube has a few good tutorials. I believe the poster named nightflyer has a good step by step top end rebuild set of videos. Nothing else, they are good references to watch.

i used to know nothing about building houses, but i built one and have lived in it for 18 years.i used to know nothing about building barns but i have built several and now do jobs for people fixing theirs.i used to know nothing about bulldozers but i pulled the tracks off mine and rebuilt the steering clutches last winter.i used to know nothing about xs650s,now i dont find them very complicated.

i am fortunate that i was able to build a 12x12x12 2 story shed for my hobbies.
IMAG2644.jpg

however, what you can't see in this picture immediately to the left and the entire loft was commandeered by my wife w/ her tons of christmas decorations. so what you see in this picture is my working space...

Now that you have a relationship with the garage you can stop by and ask them questions. Not just any question, but about judgment calls and the rare thing you can't get from this site. That's what I did for awhile with the garage I bought mine from. They had bought mine to fix up, but I bought it from them before they had the chance.

You definitely don't need a lift. That's for guys who do it all day every day. Likewise a garage. I would feel comfortable doing everything you probably need to do sitting on the ground in the middle of nowhere, and probably have!

I have not taken a bike, or a part of one to a dealership since 1999. I have not taken a bike to ANY shop since 2002, and I only did then because my bud was putting my Shadow back together after surfing US67 just outside Glen Rose at 60 MPH. I don't trust any dealership, and only one indy shop. I do my own work. That way when it fails or strands me, the sumbitch that screwed it up is right there with me so I can kick his ass!

Here is a link to a Manual with links spread throughout it where they are relevant to the chapter in question. The Manual is in jpeg form and its easy to download just 1 page.

I see you had trouble understanding the difference between carbs in an earlier thread. The carbs you bought are from a 76C so that makes them the 76/77 BS38's and not 80-83 BS34's as you thought.
The 76C/77D supplement in the Manual link will relate to the carbs you bought.

A couple more links to carbs.
1 The first is for Suzuki CV BS Mikuni carbs and is almost identical to the Yami CV BS carbs
3 Disregard the info on Jets and float height, but the rest is relevant.
4 Read Pamcopetes post for how to check plug colour.

5 Tech menu under Carbs - Carburetors. Read, reread and reread again while asking questions and it it will just hit you one day just when you think the old brain is going into meltdown.

Unless the bike shop has worked on lots of XS650's all they will be doing is getting payed to learn, ( by you), and be slow at that.

Back