Tools

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen several posts on forum members tools, I started my Apprenticeship with the NCB here in the UK, and we were supplied with a complete tool kit (King Dick), with the cost of the tool kit repaid through our weekly wages, the kit was to suit our need to work on mining machinery from 1/4" drive right up to 1" drive Imperial & Metric. sadly over the years they have disappeared, Although i started to build up my own kit from the 80s with the adage buy the best you can afford at the time. Stahlewille being my first choice followed by Snap On or Mac, I know there are several other tool manufacturers I was curious what XS owners own and their preferences

IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg

I'm now a devotee of Halfords Advance hand tools. I bought a spanner to take out the sump plug, and was really happy with the finish quality and how it felt in the hand whilst working. They also have a no quibble lifetime guarantee; you dont even need to keep the receipt, just take the damaged one back and they replace it. I'm now building up a kit. They dont cover lost 10mm sockets tho'!
More here: https://www.halfords.com/halfords-advanced-tools.html

For power tools I used to use HITACHI products which were very good; but now a bit worn after years of abuse. I have now changed to Milwaukee products. Both for cabinet fitting installations in work; and for mechanical jobs on the bikes and cars. Great quality if a little expensive.
More here: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Mechanics-Tools

Adam, we use Hitachi power tools on site, Halfords are good kit, I'm just a tool bling bitch :D, will you be following Cymru in the World Cup
Yes the Football World Cup. I am meeting up with 6 buddies from primary school (we get together 2 or 3 times a year). Meeting up in a Chipping Norton hotel for three days of cycling and Footie watching. Many many pints of beer and lots of food will also be consumed! Come on Wales! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 and if they dont win England will be supported!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Last edited:
finshop1.jpg
finshop2.jpg

matco1.jpg

I have a BUNCH of tools, but they're mostly mutts - some Craftsman, some Kobalt, some Husky. Most of my battery stuff is Milwaukee, some of my older hand tools (from Dad) are better names. The pix are of my "new" shop, and the red MATCO replaced the big Husky unit in the garage when I moved it to the new shop. I don't like lugging tools back and forth so I have multiples of multiples in my primary work areas: New Shop, garage, basement benchtop machining area, basement hobby area.

My shop in it's (mostly) completed state.

cartrear.jpg

One more pic showing the $100 welding table I stole off Craigslist and the free Walker-Turner 16 inch bandsaw also off C-List. I have it rebuilt with a gear reduction to slow it down for metal cutting. Just waiting for a blade from McMaster.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of Dad's tools from his time as an engine mechanic for American Airlines,'40-'77. Blue Point, Mac, Starrett, and other high end stuff and Craftman (when it was built in the USA) and about any other brand you can think of. I bought tools during my years as a GI in England and Germany. No more than I wanted to carry in my private (non GI) toolbox. Mostly wrenches and socket sets and screwdrivers. I've learned not to buy 3/8" socket sets. The 1/4" and 1/2" sets cover it and more. I bought tools during my time as an aircraft sheetmetal mech. A lot of Cromwell stuff. Then there is the Shopsmith from the early '90s.

The 1/4 inch ratchet is used #14 JetM
I have autostore cheap tool sets and spanners That are rather good these days.
Some give 10 year warranty.
I work a lot outdoors so having them movable is needed.

I also would like to push for the hand held battery powered drill .Someone here told about it
I Usually don't use battery powered machines .No such thing at the beginning.

Something like that .it has an Torque adjustment to 18 on the Picture. It is handy in loosening screws
the right bit and reversing it and gradually increasing the torque. Can get it loose.
It gives a impact function

1669106954628.png

Back