Trailering a bike. How do you prevent bike theft.

Kevin Werner

Amatuer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am gearing up for the Ozarks rally. I will have an overnight stay at a hotel going and returning. I would hate to wake up to a missing bike or bike and trailer. Does anybody have experience here?

Best advice is to stay at a place with a well lighted parking lot. Also a padlock on the hitch. If really worried a chain and padlock on bike. Most major chains have well lighted parking lots. Last year when I rode to the rally with Gary we stayed at a Days Inn I think on the way down and back. Just parked in front of the room, didn't worry at all about the bikes.

take a small air pump with you. Let the air out of one or both of the trailer tyres and pump it up in the morning. ....and/or take a bessa/cinder block and chain the block to the wheel of the trailer

Back the trailer into the park bay by your room. Have a lock safety ball that locks on to the hitch.

Use a heavy chain and lock as an extra tie down and put it in a difficult place for thieves to get at and where it will make a hell of a noise if it is removed or cut off

Back