Turn signal flasher

scabber

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
A friend picked up a new flasher for me. EL12 Tridon . Electromagnetic controlled. I told him to pick up a 552 two prong. This has 2 prongs and works. The body is the same size as the original so it fits the original holder. Body appears to be plastic material have not heat tested will let you know. I don't think it will be a problem. It works great bright lights. Even the indicator light was never this bright. 11 to 15 volts. The 552 needed tape wrapped to fit. Made in the USA. :D

As you probably know replacing the stock flasher deletes the self cancler units function. This can be a good thing. After a few years the self cancler gets wonky. It shuts off at undesirible times, like waiting very long to make a left hand turn.
They seldom go bad by leaving the signals on, just shutting down early.
Leo

The self cancler like you say quit working properly years ago. I went with the led taillights replaced the two 1157 bulbs. Not Shure if the flasher will work with the led turn signal bulbs. I think it might. Wasn't planning on doing the led signal bulbs. I might do later. This is more of test and see how long it will work. Vibration and heat since it located in the original location. The rubber mount should help.

I can't say for sure if that flasher will work with LED's or not. I use the flasher from www.superbrightleds.com the LF1-S- flat with the prongs removed from the plastic plug they come in will plug right in where the stock flasher does. Just be sure you keep it away from the ignition coil. A stock one might be ok but the Green M onster coil I'm using has such a strong magnetic feild it messes up the flasher.
I have mine mounted on the front of the battery box. I reccomend this and adding a bit of wire to reach. Looks like this one but this one is the -pin intead of the - flat.
Leo

Attachments

• lfs-1-pin.jpg
    lfs-1-pin.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 224
The -flat has a red and black wire where the -pin has grey and black. The red or grey goes to the brown wire, the black to the brown/white wire.
Leo

I now have no turn signals? Did work, then now not working after shut down.......................

kemptw, When you say they don't work, do you mean don't light up at all, light but no flash?
First thing is check the bulbs, are they good?
The turn signals are a fairly simple circuit. Power comes to the flasher on a brown wire, from the flasher on a brown/white wire to the switch, from the switch to the lights.
If they don't work at all, check for voltage on the brown wire in the flasher socket. If you have voltage, make a jumper wire that you can plug into the flasher socket from the brown to the brown/white. Turn the signals on. Do the signals light up now? If so you need a new flasher.
If not it could be the switch. The wires where they attach to the switch come loose.
Another thing is bad grounds. The lights ground through the body, you need to attach ground wires from the mounting stud to a good frame ground or back into the harness.
Scabber, that's good. On my 75 with the green mpnster coil made mine flash eratically. Moved it away and works fine.
Leo

Last edited:
kemptw, When you say they don't work, do you mean don't light up at all, light but no flash?
First thing is check the bulbs, are they good?
The turn signals are a fairly simple circuit. Power comes to the flasher on a brown wire, from the flasher on a brown wire to the switch, from the switch to the lights.
If they don't work at all, check for voltage on the brown wire in the flasher socket. If you have voltage, make a jumper wire that you can plug into the flasher socket from the brown to the brown/white. Turn the signals on. Do the signals light up now? If so you need a new flasher.
If not it could be the switch. The wires where they attach to the switch come loose.
Another thing is bad grounds. The lights ground through the body, you need to attach ground wires from the mounting stud to a good frame ground or back into the harness.
Scabber, that's good. On my 75 with the green mpnster coil made mine flash eratically. Moved it away and works fine.
Leo

there is no light at all............................................

First thing to check is for power on the brown wire in the flasher plug. Should be very close to battery voltage.
I just noticed a mistake in my description in my other responce. The wire from the flasher to the switch should be a brown/white wire. I just fixed it.
The 77 has just one fuse, If the bike runs it's not the fuse. Unless your wiring has severe problems you should get good voltage on the brown wire.
If they light with the jumper, replace the flasher. If still no light then remove the left switch housing the gain excess to the turn switch. Check that all the wires are still hooked to the switch. Test for voltage at the brown/white wire. It should read close to battery voltage. Now with the switch in the left position check for voltage on the chocolate wire on the switch. Right side is the dark green wire. If no voltage, the wires may be loose or the internal contacts are dirty. If your carefull the switch can be taken apart and cleaned.
Once you get power to come out of the switch, test for power in each turn signal light socket. If no power then you will need to trace the wires to find the bad spot.
If you have power then the bulbs may be bad. If thebulbe are good and are getting power then the grounds are bad. In the stock wiring there should be a black wire with a round loop on one end that goes under the signal mount nut. The other end plugs in to the wiring harness.
A few checks with a meeter and you should be able to find the problem. Once you find the problem you know what needs fixing.
Leo

Back