Two Leaky Sump Plates

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Bought bike, didn't leak. Did oil change with MikesXS sump gasket. Leaked badly.

Bought second engine, didn't leak. Worried that I might have messed up my original sump plate, I decided to swap sump plates. The second engine had a much cleaner sump.

Still leaks.

Worse yet, I tore the gasket on my spare engine, so it leaks now as well.

I want to use ThreeBond 1164 or Yamabond? How much of a leak can these things fix?

What about removing the gasket later on when Yamabond is applied?

Posted via Mobile

clean clean clean. Check for flatness. do not overtighten. That usually takes care of it's self the sump bolts have low yield to break point. I like to lightly file flat. Others like to put a light counter sink on the bolt holes. Many use a little grease or anti seize as a light sealer, if you use a THIN coat of Yamabond put it ONLY on the plate side of the gasket not the engine side.

And Gary, isn't there a specific torque rating for those bolts... something really light, like 10 inch pounds or the like? Thought it might help the OP to know. I may have seen it in my Haynes, which is not in front of me at the mo... but no one wants to break one of those bolts.

The grease, etc., is a great tip. When I pulled my sump to replace my strainer last year, I had to scrape both surfaces with a razor blade, repeatedly soaking the old gasket material til I got it clean.

TC

I use 80 in/lbs on all my M6 fasteners. I don't like to go any higher than I have to on old bikes like these. That value seals sump plates and all other oil retaining covers just fine.

Don't try this at home! I are an untrained idiot.

Sorry my "torque wrench" is elbow calibrated. Yes I have a torque wrench (2) just don't use em, well maybe on rebuild time headbolts. Yeah it's wrong, so sue me!
PS I have done about 6 or 7 sump plates, no broken bolts, no leaks, YMMV.:shrug:

I do use a standard inside to outside graduated tightening spiral.

Indeed, lol. I have a pretty good "feel" for tightening bolts but I still use a torque wrench on multi bolt/screw oil retaining covers. The trick to sealing is not making all the bolts super tight but making them all the same tightness.

How are you supposed to clean clean clean when the bottom the bike is so dirty? Aside from soda blasting the bottom of my bike, its always going to be dirty down there, and using a rag to wipe off the dirt on the bottom end sump just results in...spreading the dirt around.

I'm thinking of using Yamabond on the plate side of the gasket and anti-seize on the top.

Posted via Mobile

Give the bottom of your bike a kerosene bath and scrubbing with an old paint brush and toothbrush. Get it mostly clean before you even start on the sump work. If this is too much work for you then learn to live with the leaks, lol.

Yup clean with paint thinner kerosene etc. I put the fluid in an old Windex bottle, the pumps seem to last for a couple of months before they die. Spray, brush, spray, brush, the dirt keeps dropping away. I often drag out my pressure washer when I am dealing with the crud from decades. But you have to use discretion so you don't get water where it shouldn't be. Put out some cardboard and lay the bike over on it's side. to make it easier to get at......

Back