I am missing my brief riding window in N. Illinois due to a stupid gasket,

Smorg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am missing my brief riding window in N. Illinois due to a stupid gasket, any advice appreciated. I have had a slight oil leak since last fall. It is hard for me to lie on the concrete, and I have a reliable cheap mechanic, so I had him check it. He told me it was the Shifter oil seal $11.99, Shift Shaft oil seal $18.99, and the output shaft oil seal $13.49 for a total of $48.36 in parts. Add $50.00 for labor and it was a total of $98.36 OTD. Plus, he beefed up the license plate bracket for free since my plate was cracking. I drove away and was turning back to the shop inside of a mile. I came back to the shop because I wanted them to adjust the shifter for my big feet and saw it was leaking still. He ordered another seal on the clutch actuator shaft Part #93102-08206-00. It took a week for the 1st part and it came on the holiday weekend. I drove off last Thursday and it was still leaking. I called yesterday and he told me he had got a new seal that morning and put it in the freezer to stiffen it and it tore when he was installing it so now I am waiting for seal #3.

It is a second-generation shop and I have done business with the dad for over a decade, the sons have been doing the work more the last few years, but they were always involved. They have hooked me up greatly before and I have bought the shop lunch more than once type of thing. They don't want any more money and I trust them but if anyone has a good source for that part or any information on if this is a common thing, I would greatly appreciate it. If I had a good source, I would perhaps just do it myself. I only didn't initially as I had a lot of work to do on my farm equipment, so I just took it to Pete's Cycle. I'm not Inept but rather I have metal rods and plates in all limbs from motorcycle wreck and I hate crawling on the ground, and Pete has always been cheap and fair. Anyhoo, I am now looking at almost a month out of the cycle as I waited a week to be able to take to the shop before this gasket debacle.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have a good source for part #93102-0826-00? I know for the crush gaskets I ordered the aircraft part equivalent and it is supposedly a better quality? Is there a similar gasket? Preferably one at Ace Hardware that is 2x as strong and on the shelf lol? Thanks,

Lee

Yes, that #93102-08206-00 is the clutch pushrod seal and is a common leak point. But there's more to it than just the seal. There's a bushing behind it that supports the pushrod and if it's worn, the pushrod can wiggle around too much. If that's the case, even a brand new seal won't work. Then there's the pushrod itself. Older models used one long rod but newer ones switched to a two rod set-up, a short outer one and a longer inner one. That short outer rod is more prone to wiggling around. That can accelerate seal and bushing wear. So, the best bet for sealing this area is to replace the seal, replace the bushing, and switch to the long one piece pushrod.

The best place to get that seal is right from a Yamaha dealer. Your shop seems to be overcharging you a little .....

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/93102-08206-00/oil-seal-sd-type

The other seals they replaced leak sometimes, but aren't as troublesome as the pushrod seal. Many times the countershaft seal (the one behind the sprocket) is fine but leaks because the countershaft nut has come loose. This is quite common. That nut needs to be torqued very tight (94 ft/lbs) to stop the leaks in that area.

As 5twins mentioned:

"Many times the countershaft seal (the one behind the sprocket) is fine but leaks because the countershaft nut has come loose. This is quite common. That nut needs to be torqued very tight (94 ft/lbs) to stop the leaks in that area.".

Both 1980 XS-650's I bought last season required drip pans under them until I re-torqued the countershaft nuts. Pretty common nuisance leak point.

Back