tx650 34mm to a xs750 36mm triple tree swap

waynegrob

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
found out someone jammed 36mm fork tubes into 34mm triples on my 73 tx650, wondering if a newer model 36mm triple from a xs750 would fit into the neck of my '73 650, any idea, thanks

Some here have been wondering that for a while. It's possible that the neck stem is the same for the early TX650's as the Standard model XS750 and if so should be a direct swap though not sure of the bearings. The Standard model XS750 , 1977 model in particular,has the straight tubes/axle as opposed to the leading axle found on the newer triples.... Let us know what you find and welcome aboard!
Note that the 750 will give you about an inch and three quarter rise in the front end....not too bad.

A XS750 steering triple clamp will only work if you swap the XS650 stem into the XS750 bottom triple tree. The XS750 stem is too short. Easy to do if you have access to a press. You will also have to add a small washer under the bottom steering bearing to give enough clearance for the frame.

A XS750 steering triple clamp will only work if you swap the XS650 stem into the XS750 bottom triple tree. The XS750 stem is too short. Easy to do if you have access to a press. You will also have to add a small washer under the bottom steering bearing to give enough clearance for the frame.

Are you talking about the 74 and later frames or the 70 to 73 frames because the early 70-73 frames have a shorter neck than the later 74-83 ones.

Yeah XS750 fork, 70-73 frame is very close to bolt on. TX650A you would have to swap stems. I have the pieces, if I get time I could try it on an early neck. Just be aware that a "whippy" early frame with a stiffer fork won't be a cure-all

Sorry for the thread jack, but what is the source for the "whippyness" in the early frame - Is it lack of bracing in the rear end, (behind the vertical seat tube) or something inherent in the front part of frame (from seat tube forward)?

No single answer I know of, if you compare an early and late Yamaha added bracing and stiffeners all over the place. Front engine mount is just one example.

found out someone jammed 36mm fork tubes into 34mm triples on my 73 tx650, wondering if a newer model 36mm triple from a xs750 would fit into the neck of my '73 650, any idea, thanks

Hi wayne,
like they say, you can get XS750 trees on an XS650 if you swap the stems but what sliders you got on those 36mm fork tubes right now and how easily does the bike steer?
XS750 Specials and Standards have different reach triple trees and the wrong parts mix will make significant changes to the front wheel's trail.

I have an XS750 tree from 78, and it will not fit either the tx73 650 neck we have, nor my 78 xs650 neck without changes.

Then there's the question of the 750's being Standard with the normal fork style or Special with the leading axle set up.
What kind of issue are you having with the '78 xs750 tree going into the '73 xs650 neck? And is it the Standard or leading axle model? The xs750 going into the '78 xs650 neck should come up short.

Curious minds want to know......

Back