Uni-Sync Tool?

When you remove the plugs what clour are they?
You can tell a lot about an engine just by the colour,like if it's black and sooty means running rich and if a white colour suggests running too lean.
They should both be a light tan/grey.
Also do a spark test as I have bought a brand new plug which was a dud,but it took me a while to find it after testing everything else such as points,coils and battery/charging etc.Usually if a bike has been sitting for a while the battery power will be reduced and if there is one thing I learnt very early about the 650's is that they need a full 12 volts to start.Good luck.

With a high voltage ignition coil if it doesn't have a ground via the plug , it will seek a ground any way it can. Possibly shorting the windings.

Mattx2;
When you are doing the dead cylinder method, lower the rpm down to 300 or 400 rpm on the one cylinder (using the idle speed screw). That's when the mixture screw becomes most sensitive, because you have mostly closed off the 3 bypass holes in the carb. Adjust the mixture screw for highest, smooth running. You may have to go back and forth a few times between the idle speed screw and the mixture screw. When the mixture screw is in the "sweet spot" you should be able to get down to 300 or 400 rpm.

You can't adjust the mixture screw with idle rpm up around 1000 to 1300 rpm.

Back