Used Spare Engine Prices

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a 79 motor with BS38's and 25,000 miles.

I was thinking of keeping using it to learn the engine better, but also as swap for a top-end rebuild when the time comes. I plan to keep my XS650 for awhile, and I only see the prices of parts going up.

Is $125 out of line for a engine and carb that isn't seized?

Posted via Mobile

Yes, not a bad price.
If it runs well, better than whats in your bike, swap it in and run that engine while you rebuild the original engine.
I picked up a pretty much complete parts bike that has a good engine and ran that one while I rebuilt the original into a 750.
That way the 75 has matching engine and frame numbers. Not really that important but I think it's nice they match.
Now the parts bike engine may become a 750 rephase, with headwork, good street cam, upgraded carbs. Then put it in a frame with just the bare essentials to run. Light, quick, fast and fun.
Leo

Depends on if it has compression. On an engine that has been setting kicked over by foot somewhere around 100PSI both sides is good enough for me. Think of it as a basic no stuck valves or holed pistons check. But yeah that's a good price for engine and a decent set of carbs. Carb cores are bringing 60 to 80 bucks on flea bay.

Back