BMW R1200GS The Great Adventure

Someone say GS?
View attachment 247259
This 08 is just about broken in at 93K MILES. JRP01 and I headed out for a Lake Superior circle tour camping trip in a couple daze.
Will be an interesting comparo to his decked out Africa twin DCT
They are BMWs, there's some gotcha$$ now and then. I've put a bit over 6K of the miles on this one. Should add about 2K next two weeks.
Per usual done all my own work so far. Not a creampuff like your gorgeous 05. The stack of service records included BMW dealers from all over the USA.
Even with the ESA set full soft it's a bit tall. Loaded for the trip can really feel weight.
Allison gives the passenger accommodations a thumbs up.
Enjoy and keep up the reports.
BBBbut you don't like boxers. No place for your long legs. :rolleyes:

boxers. No place for your long legs.
It's true! but I raised the handlebars (risers) and lowered the pegs. Taped a big foam blob over the LH TPS where it was banging my shin, and added an airhawk atop the seat that's set as high as it will go. Backrest, originally on an FJR, fitted yesterday ;^) Roughing it.
r1200GS changes..jpg
Was a horse race with the Ulysses to go on this trip. Think the Uly could do it but just didn't get enough wrench time and miles into it for that confident feeling.

Someone say GS?
View attachment 247259
This 08 is just about broken in at 93K MILES. JRP01 and I headed out for a Lake Superior circle tour camping trip in a couple daze.
Will be an interesting comparo to his decked out Africa twin DCT
They are BMWs, there's some gotcha$$ now and then. I've put a bit over 6K of the miles on this one. Should add about 2K next two weeks.
Per usual done all my own work so far. Not a creampuff like your gorgeous 05. The stack of service records included BMW dealers from all over the USA.
Even with the ESA set full soft it's a bit tall. Loaded for the trip can really feel weight.
Allison gives the passenger accommodations a thumbs up.
Enjoy and keep up the reports.
Nice short review of your high miler Gary.
Mrs G recommending the pillion accommodation will go down well with Mrs C.
Cheers
Ads.

Hate to ask, ABS verified working? Maint done on it?
The GS pannier system is brilliant, vario so they can be (relatively) svelte but when expanded, swallow a LOT of gear. ( the vario is fussy, with a complicated set of plastic gears (6 per box?) rods and levers doing the slide in out thing, tip the bike, all bets are off on it ever working again. Had to do a full R&R on my set, removing dirt and small items that slipped between the halves, but they all work now. The biggy is they are EASY to take on/off. So get to a campground, quickly offload all the traveling stuff and have a much lighter gravel road, 2 track, mild single track, explorer. Going "off road" on a heavy bike, have keep in mind, you're depending on old body and bike functioning the rest of the trip.....
Hint; don't search yootoob for R1200GS crash.

Last edited:
Hate to ask, ABS verified working? Maint done on it?
The GS pannier system is brilliant, vario so they can be (relatively) svelte but when expanded, swallow a LOT of gear. ( the vario is fussy, with a complicated set of plastic gears (6 per box?) rods and levers doing the slide in out thing, tip the bike, all bets are off on it ever working again. Had to do a full R&R on my set, removing dirt and small items that slipped between the halves, but they all work now. The biggy is they are EASY to take on/off. So get to a campground, quickly offload all the traveling stuff and have a much lighter gravel road, 2 track, mild single track, explorer. Going "off road" on heavy bike, have keep in mind, you're depending on old body and bike functioning the rest of the trip.....
Hint; don't search yootoob for R1200GS crash.
Honestly Gary, I have no idea.
Seller says all is perfect with ‘from new‘ full and recent BMW service history.
You called it a Powder Puff bike as it’s a minter, which made me laugh.
Funny thing is I have never swung a leg over a GS let alone ridden one!
Just taking a punt on a world best seller for a regular ride bike with Mrs C; to scratch an itch. All my bikes have been riders, not show queens; but I try and keep them in top condition. thanks for the other user tips.
I did find a Y.T. Video which put the s:poo:ts outa‘ me; but there are thousands of GS bikes that have done thousands of reliable miles too.
I will post the :poo: video when on a PC.
Cheers, Ads. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Lovely bike Adam! Congrats! I laughed out loud reading how your wife was following along on your iPad. Hilarious! My wife was not so receptive when I bought a 1 year old Harley in 2005 (without her knowledge). She felt better when I sold it a few years later.
I look forward to hearing more about your as-new BMW. Stunning.

Not a powder puff a CREAM puff.
1689736930873.png

A favorite at the Wisconsin State Fair, An airy pastry barely containing a huge dollop of real Wisconsin whipped Cream. Over 400,000 sold over a one week run. But I digress, a creampuff is a car dealers term for a low miles, only driven to church on Sundays kind of car. Sounds like you have a cream puff of a GS. Can't wait for yours to arrive and the riding experiences report!

View attachment 247321
A favorite at the Wisconsin State Fair, An airy pastry barely containing a huge dollop of real Wisconsin whipped Cream. Over 400,000 sold over a one week run. But I digress, a creampuff is a car dealers term for a low miles, only driven to church on Sundays kind of car. Sounds like you have a cream puff of a GS. Can't wait for yours to arrive and the riding experiences report!
I could do one of those cream puffs to go with my morning cuppa!

View attachment 247321
I've never had one. Looks delicious. Cream Puff, not BMW.

THE LONG WAY HOME..........
Yesterday my delivery boys and I traveled from Cardiff to Rochford in Essex to collect 'Cream Puff' the GS1200.
A 7.00am start and amazingly traffic was light all the way down the M4 towards London.
Picking up the M25 North just before Heathrow and traffic density picked up, but not too heavy.
Boys needed breakfast so we stopped a South Mimms Services for a human refuel.
2 X bacon Sausage & egg rolls for Daryl and me, a full English for Luke the driver; two cups of Rosie Lee and a small orange juice.
Well roger me with a rusty tire lever.... £35.00 is daylight robbery!

Anyhoo we arrived at the sellers property about three and a half hours after setting off.
Full look over the bike and a quick test ride; we loaded her up and used about 20 ratchet (Take no chances) straps to secure her in the tail lift box van.

The Journey back was entirely different with long stoppages on the M25; and traffic avoidance routes across country.
It took over 5 hours to get back!

IMG_0259.JPEG

THE WELSH FLAT TRACKER Has now ditched his old mate the Bandit 1200
And is now snuggling up (or cwching up in Wales) to his new bed fellow Cream Puff!
😍:heart::heart:

IMG_0261.JPEG

IMG_0262.JPEG

IMG_0263.JPEG

IMG_0264.JPEG

IMG_0266.JPEG

IMG_0267.JPEG

IMG_0265.JPEG

I cannot find a mark on this 7,450 Mile two owner bike. It still has the original factory stickers in place.
It is very clean indeed and looks brand new. Full BMW main dealer service history to boot!

IMG_0260.JPEG

The BMW Vario panniers and Top Box are unused and like new also. The inner BMW fitted bags still have the factory tags and stickers on them.

The best part is Mrs C did not 'fly off the handle' at my impulsive purchase, as I expected; but actually gave me £4,000.00 towards the £5,150.00 price I negotiated to buy it. OK this is a little over market price for an 18 year old 1200GS; but just look at the condition and low mileage. To me its worth every penny.:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

When the rain stops and the roads dry out I will report on my initial proper first ride on this wonderful Bavarian machine.

Ads.:devil:

Last edited:
Yes, it does look brand new don't it... Very nice Adam. About all I'd suggest is look at the manufacture date on the tires.

... and I think it's aptly named. ;)
Spot on Jim, PO changed them end of last year.
They have done about 100 miles from new.

My 2005 1200GS - easy choice for camping 😊
Nice one @Niels B
I prefer the wire spoke wheels myself; but couldn't resist the condition of this bike.
Maybe get a second set of spoke wheels and keep the minter cast wheels for when / if I ever sell it.

Back