Valve adjuster screw preference

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting ready to button up my top end after freshening everything up and have noticed significant wear/damage on my valve adjuster screws. I have been reading through the extensive archives on the Elephant Foot mods and the various options available out there. I have basic shop tools (weekend wrench here) and the initiative to make the mods. I see some have ground 4mm of the rocker down, while others have just ground out some threads with a stone bit. My questions is, which style is preferred by those who have used them? Obviously I will be staying away from the Mike's junk. Mixed reviews on the CB Performance units. I looked at the Bugpack units that 5T had mentioned and like the price. The Porsche units look like nice quality but am hesitant on the price. As usual I am sure you get what you pay for. My bike is just a stock build with some minor upgrades, nothing high performance here. Just looking for feedback for those that have some time running some of these options.

I've done it both ways. The first couple I did by grinding the 4mm off the rocker. Now I bevel the bottom of the hole with a stone. Both methods have worked OK with no problems to report (failures) in near 10 years and many thousands of miles. I do prefer the beveling with a stone for a couple reasons. First, you're removing less material so technically, it should give you a stronger finished product. Second, you can do the mod with a stone without removing the rocker arm from the head, just wrap the top cover up good with a suitably big rag .....

TopCoverWrap.jpg

TopCoverWrap2.jpg

Also, I didn't shorten the screws on my first couple but I do now. They work just fine either way ....

ScrewsCut.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a preference of which brand you use? I've seen many different reports of the finishes on the contact surfaces being varied.

So far I've only used the cheapie EMPI brand, but I've had no problems with them. I do plan on getting the little bit better Bugpack ones next though.

Hi willis,
I did a set for my son's bike.
He brought the rockers around already out of the head and asked me to grind the ends shorter.
Instead of taking the bench grinder to them I opted to Vee the threads out using a 90º conical stone in my die grinder.
He got the expensive Porsche adjusters because he was handy to their showroom when he thought of getting them.
But WTF? If you compare the price of those guaranteed to work adjusters with the price of teardown, rocker modification and install if you had to bill yourself at a journeyman's rate for doing the job, (never mind the shop charge) they didn't cost much at all.

Just a follow up on this. I ordered a set of the Bugpack adjusters direct from their site. The units were on back order, so I advised customer service to keep me posted of the order status. After a week I emailed them back for an update and they advised me they were still on backorder, but that in fact they order these parts direct from CB Performance. Their customer service was great and communicated really well, but just want anyone who is thinking of getting these that they are the same parts from CB. I cancelled my order and will likely just get some CB's on ebay from someone that has them in stock.

Just an update (to the update, lol). CB Performance was out of stock as well but now have them again. If you choose USPS for shipping, you can get it for like $5. UPS is terrible @ about $16. I just ordered a set and my total was just under $32. That's like $4 per screw, not bad. Stock replacements from Mike's are over twice that, lol.

I ended up ordering mine from pierside parts. They had them in stock. You are right about shipping. Cheapest option I had was usps for just under $12. Parts were $35 for a pack of 8. They shipped here in 2 business days. I also received an email today from CB that they do have them back in stock. Their price was a little cheaper too for anyone considering ordering.
I've seen some posts saying they were not smooth surface and felt gritty. I did not find that the case with mine. Contact surface was smooth as well as the ball and socket.
The stems on these are considerably longer than stock. I see you have cut them down on yours. Is this necessary or are they ok at the length provided?

I didn't shorten the first couple sets of screws I did and they fit fine. I do cut them now. I figured out how to easily do it. Properly clamped in a small vice and using the fiber reinforced cut-off wheels in a Dremel, they're easy to cut and make a new screwdriver slot in the head.

Bugpack??

CB Performance??

I am thinking these are aftermarket part providers, yes?

Can anyone provide the links? Only 650 sites I have found are mike's and 650 Central. Less and less pleased with mike's. Fired off a email yesterday about disappointing QC on several parts I had gotten from them just yesterday.

They have seriously degraded from what I got from them years ago.:(

Have had much better bits from HVC, but they tend to be more 2 stroke relevant.

These are aftermarket VW parts suppliers so unfortunately, you won't be finding much in the way of 650 parts there. It just so happens that VW Beetles use the same size (8mm) valve adjusting screws as the 650 does. This mod comes from the Yamaha SR/XT/TT500 community. They've been doing it for years. Those bikes use the same adjuster screws as ours do.

I just received my new screws and they are very nice, better quality than the EMPI brand.

Back