Van Islander's TX650A - Quest for a Daily Rider

I have the 712s on my Purple Sportster. Just got back from a trip to the mountains, not a bad tire. I like AM26s better. Had a set on my old TX650A and currently on my 350 Sprint.

I had 712s on the 76 I just sold today. I only put a few hundred miles on em but I thought they were a pretty decent tire. No complaints.

I think the stock sizes look a little better and the bigger tire seemed to be a little sluggish on the initial take off in a corner. Just my personal preference.

Great thread Van Islander. It's been over a dozen years since I've been on this forum and what a great welcome back! Not to mention that we're practically neighbours. I'm in Nanaimo so those shots by the water were great to see. I'm doing a full tear down and polish on my '79 Special so I can pass an out of province safety and get collectors plates like you have. Frame and swingarm are coming back from the powder coater tomorrow. I've always had Avon Tires on mine as well. I'll probably stick with those.

Grundoon - another islander! Welcome and thanks for the compliment. We will have to get together one day. I'll have this bike back on the road in mid-July, so perhaps a ride to Nanaimo is in store. :bike:

Update - the Shinko 712s are installed on the bike as of this past Saturday and have about 100 miles on them. I'm playing around with different air pressures (my Haynes book says 23 to 25 psi front and 28 to 30 psi rear; I'm curious to know what pressures you guys run. It seemed to me these road tires wanted more air pressure than that (I had dual sports tires before) but the bike doesn't seem to like it, especially the front tire.
The tire install went well. Getting the old crap tires off, especially the rear, was more difficult than installing the new ones. I used a big c-clamp to break the bead on the old tires.
My original wheels (I presume they're original) needed a bit of truing. I borrowed a stand (have a new one on order now just to have for the future) and ended up making a spoke wrench out of a piece of steel about 3/16" thick. Zip wheel and patient filing made for an exact fit on the spokes. Before I did this, I soaked the spoke nipples with WD-40 for at least 2 days. They all turned ok and I eventually got to about 1 mm runout. Excellent threads on spoke adjustment and wheel truing on the forum, thanks!
Here is the bike showing off it's new boots!
20220717_171222.jpg
20220717_092940.jpg
20220717_093012.jpg

Update - the Shinko 712s are installed on the bike as of this past Saturday and have about 100 miles on them. I'm playing around with different air pressures (my Haynes book says 23 to 25 psi front and 28 to 30 psi rear; I'm curious to know what pressures you guys run. It seemed to me these road tires wanted more air pressure than that (I had dual sports tires before) but the bike doesn't seem to like it, especially the front tire.
The tire install went well.
I only weigh 150# and usually start at 90% the max load stated pressure on the tire itself. I don't think the book reflects current-day tires. Then I typically adjust it down (if harsh ride or feels lacking grip) to the point were the handling presents a little more "movement" and then set it about mid-range of those two points: a compromise between harsh and "Squirmy". All that usually produces a result within 4-5psi under sidewall imprint depending on the tire. My front pressures are typically even to 2psi higher than rear if it's a match set.

Those air pressure values in your manual are from the '70s and for the tires back then. Today's tires usually like a bit more air in them. I usually go about 30 - 32 front and 35 or 36 rear.

Those air pressure values in your manual are from the '70s and for the tires back then. Today's tires usually like a bit more air in them. I usually go about 30 - 32 front and 35 or 36 rear.
Same here 5T, modern rubber requires more air. On track days, or off road, we usually run lower than recommended pressures. But for a 40+ year old road bike on new boots go with 5T's recommendations.

Start watching eBay for a Rowe brand spoke wrench. It's a very nice little tool and I've yet to find a spoke it won't fit. But beware, there are lots of Chinese knock-offs out there. An original will have the "Rowe" name clearly stamped on it .....

View attachment 219293
I have one like that. Very solid construction.

Since I installed the Boyer Bransden ignition, I had not adjusted the carbs per the carb guide dead cylinder method. I did that this evening and it seems smooth in acceleration on the street but it is idling a bit low, and sometimes stalls when I come to a stop. I did adjust the timing (with timing light) a bit more retarded before doing these adjustments. I had thought I had set it at full throttle at about 38 degrees BTDC, but was it was right at the full advanced line. So I backed it off a bit and it fires a bit to the right of the F mark.
Perhaps the timing is too retarded?
When I followed the carb guide to the letter, it ended up idling about 900 rpm, a bit too low? Video attached. You can hear it miss just a bit. All of the rotor/stator is stock. Main jet and pilot jets are stock size for '74. The carbs are set up stock, with stock air filter system.

Before doing this I had checked each spark plug. The left was a bit rich and the right was ok. (By my rookie eye)

Last edited:
Video says Private... can't see it.
Did you adjust the idle screw? Retarding timing lowers idle... needs to be adjusted back up with the idle screw.

Yes, you need to have the idle around 1100 to 1200 or the bike will randomly just up and stall sometimes.

It's OK to have the timing a little retarded, as long as you're still in the idle timing "range" .....

Idle Timing Points.jpg

I have mine set over near the right slash mark, still in the "range" but at the more retarded end of it. Yes, this will cause the idle speed to drop but all you need do is turn it up a little to compensate.

Back